Director of Data & Research -- All Raise
San Francisco, CA /
Just 12% of decision-makers at US based venture capital firms with more than $25M assets under management are female and just 11% of early-stage funding goes to female founders. These numbers highlight an unfortunate truth: the innovation ecosystem is dominated by men. We started All Raise to create a new future - one in which female voices are amplified and where women lead, shape, and fund the future.
However, you can’t change what you don’t measure. Without data to help track advancement relative to our goals, tell our stories, and elucidate new opportunities, we will not make progress. For this reason, we are seeking a sharp, thoughtful analytical problem solver and leader to drive data-driven initiatives. This candidate will build the analytical framework that ensures more diverse representation in the startup ecosystem and supports and advances All Raise’s mission and goals.
All Raise’s Director of Data and Research must care deeply about using data-driven approaches and scientific inquiry to identify the challenges that women and other underrepresented groups in the tech industry face and drive meaningful change. They must be motivated by both mission-driven opportunities and solving challenging analytical problems in a fast paced environment. The Director of Data and Research should also have extremely strong leadership, communication and organizational skills with a strong attention to detail and a sophisticated understanding of how to collect relevant datasets, define and measure outcomes, and develop and execute research studies.
- Report directly to the CEO on mission critical initiatives, including efforts to build a gold standard data practice within a mission-driven organization
- Partner with team captains and various cross-functional stakeholders to define research roadmap, including identifying and defining key questions to answer and the hypotheses to test
- Create and implement research studies on the venture and tech industry including managing and driving data collection and leading analysis efforts
- Translate research and studies into practice that provide both actionable insights for founders, investors and the tech community at large and inform All Raise’s priority programming areas
- Present insights and analysis to various stakeholders through reports, data journalism, and presentations in a clear, compelling, and concise way
- Build a technology and data infrastructure that serves as a foundation for All Raise and our partners to draw insights, make decisions faster, and measure our results and impact
- Access, query, model, and analyze datasets Create and manage business/operational dashboards and tools to monitor performance goals and metrics
- Build data partnerships with other organizations as well as 3rd party vendors
- Engage with thought leaders from the startup and VC community, including organizing and delegating volunteers to execute various data projects
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree (MS, PhD) in a social science or quantitative field with coursework in statistics (e.g. Sociology, Psychology, Math, Engineering)
- Proven experience and demonstrated effectiveness in leading diversity and inclusion-related initiatives and research is preferred
- Analytical and research experience in the venture capital or tech industryProven ability to synthesize and tell the story behind the data
- Demonstrated strong business acumen and excellent written, oral and analytical communication skills
- Proven success with translating a business problem into a data solution design of varying complexitiesAbility to balance long-term strategic priorities with short-term tactical needs
- Thrilled with challenges, unknowns and opportunity to define and build things
- Track record of success and comfort with quantitative and qualitative data analysis, wrangling, and curation
- Experience in reporting, analytics and databases and some combination of SQL and R or Python
- Familiar with statistical modeling, such as regression analysis, forecasting etc.
- Some experience with data visualization and reporting tools (eg. Tableau)
- Some experience with survey design