Engineering Manager, Mobile
San Francisco /
AllTrails is the most trusted and used outdoors platform in the world. We help people explore the outdoors with hand-curated trail maps along with photos, reviews, and user recordings crowdsourced from our community of millions of registered hikers, mountain bikers, and trail runners in 150 countries. AllTrails is frequently ranked as a top-5 Health and Fitness app and has been downloaded by over 30 million people worldwide.
About the Role
As the first Mobile Engineering Manager at AllTrails, you’ll play a pivotal role in our continued growth and expansion by managing, mentoring, and growing a passionate team of engineers. You'll also be deeply involved in our product development, partnering closely with engineering, design, and product to help deliver on our vision of fostering happy, healthy communities by connecting people to the outdoors and to each other. If this role sounds right to you and you're motivated by the idea of channeling your energy to help millions of people around the globe spend more time exploring the outdoors, then we want to talk to you.
What You’ll Be Doing
• Manage and mentor a team of experienced and passionate mobile engineers
• Serve as an engineering leader and technical expert
• Lead and participate in technical, design, and product discussions with teams across the organization and company
• Continue to build a world-class team by hiring exceptional talent, coaching and developing engineers, and leveraging your technical expertise to raise the bar and build the right amount of process
• Advocate for code quality, new technologies, and architectural design within the company
• Support initiatives to improve engineering efficiency, quality, and happiness
• Work collaboratively as a distributed team and use GitHub, Slack, and Zoom extensively to connect.
• 5+ years of building high performing, healthy mobile teams that addressed increasingly complex technical and organizational challenges
• Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
• Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
• Strong communication and analytical skills
• Experience with CI/CD workflows and tools
• Proficient with Jira, Confluence, and Github
• Scrappy, creative problem solver who is willing to dive in wherever is needed
• Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
• Humility, empathy and open-mindedness - no egos
• Believe that strong teams are built on trust and autonomy
• Passion for the outdoors
Technologies we use
• Swift, Objective-C, MapKit, CoreData, CoreLocation, WatchKit, UIKit, CoreAnimation
• Kotlin, RxJava, ViewModels, Databinding, Room
• Firebase, XCTest, Unit tests, snapshot tests, integration tests
• Experience working at a mobile-first B2C company
• Experience with AWS services
• Experience with Monitoring, Logging, Reporting, and Alerting frameworks like Crashlytics, Embrace, New Relic, and Datadog
If this kind of work sounds interesting, we'd love to hear from you! We're open to all backgrounds and we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.