Senior Data Scientist
Energy Moonshot – Energy Moonshot
We are looking for a Data Scientist who can utilize advanced modeling and data science to drive and inform Alpha Energy Moonshot innovations for the deployment of an intelligent, integrated and efficient modern grid. The work will include predictive and prescriptive analytics and insightful tool design. Combining field data, simulation data and through collaboration with Strategy, Research and Engineering teams, the Data Scientist will help shape the future of our products, solutions, and business models, by extracting meaning from and interpreting data with machine learning and statistical modelling.
This position requires an individual with a combination of computational and analytical skills. Projects will include assessing mini and micro grid field and simulation data, power flows, network effects, peer to peer trading, forecasting (generation, load and weather), building predictive systems that can automate balancing, reliability and pricing functions. Leverage predictive analytics and advanced statistical techniques to drive strategic thought and effective decision making.
- Build databases and systems to analyze large amounts of information to discover trends and patterns of several natures: technical, economic, social/behavioral
- Collect, manage, cleanse and process field and simulation data to provide insights for research, engineering and product development teams.
- Identify valuable data sources and automate collection processes
- Data mining using state-of-the-art methods
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
- Build predictive models and machine-learning algorithms
- Propose solutions and strategies to business challenges
- Collaborate with other Alpha Energy teams, and external strategic partners to Alpha Energy
- Advanced degree (Master’s/PhD) in Statistics, Computer Science, Physics or other quantitative discipline
- Minimum of 8 years of related experience
- Minimum 5 years proven managerial or supervisory experience
- Prior experience in power systems planning, grid data and renewable energy integration
- Experience with both structured and unstructured data. Expert in exploring and examining data from multiple disparate sources and formats, reducing large quantities of unstructured or formless data and get it into a form in which it can be analyzed.
- As a plus, knowledge on complex networks field such as: dynamics in different network topologies.
- Solid planning, priority setting, and project management skills with experience managing multiple projects and resources concurrently
- Mastery of various statistical methodologies such as regression analysis (linear and non-linear), cluster analysis, CHAID, time series, survival models
- Experience with machine learning
- Experience with SQL, Scala, Python or Java
- Strong understanding of statistics and modeling techniques
- Strong analytic thought process and ability to interpret findings
- Provide team leadership and coaching, to create an environment oriented to trust, open communication, creative thinking, and cohesive team effort
- High level of written and spoken level of English is required, Spanish is highly valued
- Startup experience preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and good at developing relationships across diverse teams
- Travelling might be required (10 to 20%), nationally and internationally.