AI Research Engineer (Full-Stack, ML)
Health Moonshot – AI
Alpha – Europe’s first Moonshot innovation company, with a solid backing, and access to massive data sets – is building a team to work on groundbreaking and life changing projects and products in the health and energy sector.
Alpha Health Worldwide, healthcare costs have been increasing faster than GDP for 50 years, whilst key indicators such as life expectancy have plateaued in many countries. The root cause is a change in disease burden – across the world, today’s biggest diseases and biggest killers are chronic diseases such as cancer, heart attack, stroke, and mental health disorders. In fact, for every life saved from infections since 2000, we’ve lost two lives to chronic disease.
However, it’s now well-established that the main cause of chronic diseases is everyday behaviours such as poor diet, lack of exercise, using tobacco, excessive alcohol, or lack of sleep. To make tackling everyday behaviours even harder, pioneers in neuroscience and behavioural economics have begun to reveal that people are not even really in conscious control of their behaviour.
At Alpha, we believe that advances in neuroscience, mobile computing, and machine learning now mean we can help people to take control of their own behaviour, optimise their life, and limit the effects of unhealthy behaviour on their bodies and their minds.
To support our work, we are partnering with the best academics, developers, companies, and professionals around the world.
TLDR; You (being an experienced and passionate AI/Machine Learning Engineer) should join our new Alpha Health AI Research team as an experienced ML Engineer because we can offer you:
- Very challenging research problems and a long-term horizon under the following topical keywords: Empathic AI; Distributed & Anonymous AI; Trustworthy AI; among others.
- Growth opportunities in a new and ambitious project.
- Develop your own solutions to AI problems (as aligned to the Moonshot objective to eradicate behaviorally-caused diseases from the top 10 causes of death).
- Freedom to publish your work with your peers (as appropriate, code & papers).
- Many other perks relating to your work and life in general.
Alpha AI team
The newly founded AI team in Alpha Health is set up to tackle some of the biggest AI and Machine-Learning challenges we face when working on the Moonshot of eradicating chronic diseases from the list of top causes of death. Our team will consist of an interdisciplinary team of world-class research scientists in the fields of computer science, maths, computational neuroscience, physics and machine-learning. We build proof-of-concept stage prototypes to solve some of the key challenges in AI and Machine-Learning in the field.
Specifically, this means solving 3 key challenges in AI:
1) “Empathic AI”: Understanding and reacting to human emotion, measured by multi-modal input.
2) “Anonymous & Distributed Machine-Learning”: Development and implementation of a framework to train ML algorithms without “touching” or “seeing” the users data. (Example: Federated Learning & Homomorphic Encryption)
3) “Trustworthy AI”: Design and implementation of ML/AI algorithms and systems that are “explainable” and no longer a black-box, and therefore help build trust in AI for sensitive use-cases.
We are looking for great Research Engineers to drive Alpha Health’s efforts to push the edge in AI research in any of the above areas.
- Develop cutting-edge technology solutions to the research questions, in close collaboration with the researchers and Full-Stack Engineers.
- Understand, test and improve the approaches taken to our challenges by thorough questioning and ideating alternative solutions.
- Lead or co-lead the development of proof-of-concept stage solutions and help embed them in the user-facing application for validation and growth.
- Help run first tests of your new solutions in scaling environments with the team and real user data and feedback.
- Provide your input in the overall roadmap of the team.
- Provide technical expertise in the theory-development process.
Your skills and expertise
- Very strong Computer-Science background.
- Very strong programming skills in Python (and C++).
- Solid understanding of Machine-Learning algorithms on a mathematical level.
- Very strong experience in implementing complex software.
- Strong experience with collaboration tools (Git etc.).
- Strong familiarity with concepts of distributed computing and large-scale data-infrastructure (Hadoop, Spark or related).
- Experience in setting up end-to-end data processing pipelines.
- Experience in leading a small team of developers.
- Willingness to learn about totally new ideas and test them.
- As a plus: Background/previous experiences in health tech, psychology or related.
We provide all the necessary help and perks to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable. This includes full first-class healthcare coverage, cash allowance to pay for your outside activities like gym etc., and of course help moving to Barcelona (if you are located somewhere else)!
Your workplace and equipment will be the latest of its kind and of course you can choose your tools to help you be as effective as possible.
Our offices are located in a modern and open space with an amazing view over Barcelona and the Mediterranean coastline. We provide catered lunch and snacks all throughout the day.
Anything else you’d desire we can of course take in consideration!