Senior Backend Engineer
Alpha Health – Engineering
Alpha is a long term innovation facility created by Telefonica in 2016 to work on moonshot projects.
These are audacious projects, on the edge of what is technically possible, that will affect 100s of millions of people, have a positive societal impact, and grow into billion Euro businesses.
Alpha Health Moonshot
Worldwide, healthcare costs have been increasing faster than GDP for 50 years, whilst key indicators such as life expectancy have plateaued in many countries. The root cause is a change in disease burden; across the world, today’s biggest diseases and biggest killers are chronic diseases such as cancer, heart attack, stroke, and mental health disorders. In fact, for every life saved from infections since 2000, we’ve lost two lives to chronic disease.
It’s now well-established that the main cause of chronic diseases is everyday behaviours such as poor diet, lack of exercise, using tobacco, excessive alcohol, or lack of sleep. Yet healthcare systems are not geared-up to manage such behaviours at their source. To make the challenge even harder, pioneers in neuroscience and behavioural economics have begun to reveal that people are not even really in conscious control of much of their everyday behaviour.
At Alpha, we believe that advances in neuroscience, mobile computing, and machine learning now mean we can help people to take control of their own behaviour, optimise their life, and limit the effects of unhealthy behaviour on their bodies and their minds.
To support our work, we are partnering with the best academics, developers, companies, and professionals around the world.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer who will be responsible for developing and maintaining service layers in distributed microservice architectures. The Senior Backend Engineer will also act as a liaison with the data engineering and DevOps teams and mentor junior engineers.
One of the main challenges in our environment is the need to move as fast as possible across the innovation funnel, from early-stage proof of concepts to mature products that scale up for population-level impact, while maintaining the right balance between technical debt and speed.
The Senior Backend Engineer must be extremely comfortable dealing with uncertainty and working according to a non-conventional technical approach and contributing to the creation of processes to increase performance in the engineering team. Our current backend stack at Alpha Health is 90% NodeJS with typescript, 10% Golang. We use Scala for data engineering services.
· Develop and maintain Service Layers (APIs, DBs, …) in distributed microservice architectures.
· Implement low-latency and resilient components able to scale up and cope with high traffic volume.
· Log and monitor all services. Implement processes to react quickly to unexpected issues, with the goal of maintaining record uptime metrics.
· 4+ years of experience as Backend Engineer or equivalent role;
· Academic credentials in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent experience;
· Experience with cloud-based architecture (we use AWS);
· Experience building cloud-based data engineering solutions;
· Experience working in Agile/Scrum methodologies and frameworks;
· Experience implementing automated testing platforms;
· Team player with strong motivational skills;
· Excellent communication skills, fluency in English;
We provide all the necessary help and perks to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable all year round, like:
- Benefits package (health, pension, life)
- Casual dress code and open culture
- Flexible work schedule
- High social impact with world-wide reach
- Free daily catering for lunch and large stocked kitchen
- Weekly ‘Lunch and Learn’ sessions with guests talking about the most varied world topics
- Work and learn with some of the very best minds in innovation and ideation
- A friendly and open environment
- A democratic team culture that encourages everybody to contribute ideas and acquire new skills
- Based in Barcelona, right by the beach!