Chief Growth Officer (Health Moonshot)
Health Moonshot – Leadership
Alpha is an innovation start-up based in Barcelona, established by Telefonica in early 2016. Alpha’s mission is to create Moonshots: audacious projects that use radical ideas and breakthrough technology to address some of the biggest challenges in society. Such Moonshots are designed to affect 100 Million people or more, be a force for good on the planet, and grow into impactful businesses.
We are building a team to work on ground-breaking and life changing projects and products in the health and energy sector. More and different Moonshots are to come.
Alpha Health Moonshot
Worldwide, healthcare costs have been increasing faster than GDP for 50 years, whilst key indicators such as life expectancy have plateaued in many countries. The root cause is a change in disease burden – across the world, today’s biggest diseases and biggest killers are chronic diseases such as cancer, heart attack, stroke, and mental health disorders. In fact, for every life saved from infections since 2000, we’ve lost two lives to chronic disease.
However, it’s now well-established that the main cause of chronic diseases is everyday behaviours such as poor diet, lack of exercise, using tobacco, excessive alcohol, or lack of sleep. To make tackling everyday behaviours even harder, pioneers in neuroscience and behavioural economics have begun to reveal that people are not even really in conscious control of their behaviour.
At Alpha, we believe that advances in neuroscience, mobile computing, and machine learning now mean we can help people to take control of their own behaviour, optimise their life, and limit the effects of unhealthy behaviour on their bodies and their minds.
To support our work, we are partnering with the best academics, developers, companies, and professionals around the world.
Reporting to the CEO of Alpha Health, the Chief Growth Officer (CGO) will bring together and Manage the Sales and Marketing activities of Alpha Health, including establishing Strategic Partnerships, and driving Business Development and Growth through a balance of strategic planning, managing the business development pipeline, and crisp, energetic sales execution.
1. Drive Sales and Business Development
● Define a clear business growth strategy based on a solid understanding of Alpha Health’s target customers and partners, as well as relevant digital health markets
● Rapidly achieve a sound understanding of the overall Alpha Health strategy, as well as our current and planned assets
● Align targeted sales objectives with Alpha Health’s overall strategy through active participation in strategic planning, sales strategy and target customer pipeline development, forecasting, sales resource planning, and budgeting
● Develop and execute business development and sales to drive growth in both the short-term (to establish Alpha Health products in the market) and the long-term (to enable Alpha Health to achieve our Moonshot objectives)
● Provide strategic leadership and direction for selecting and defining potential new products and offerings:
○ Remain current with market dynamics, and serve as a proactive voice of the customer internally to ensure ongoing strategic alignment of the Moonshot objectives
○ Develop and maintain a clear understanding of direct and indirect competitors
○ Create consistency among our multiple business platforms with how they go to market, establish beachhead customers and pricing, and organize around short and long-term planned growth activities
● Drive sales and lead our demand generation activities across our portfolio of products to generate revenues in line with Alpha Health growth plans to achieve Moonshot-level growth:
○ Ensure all sales activities maintain value proposition continuity during the sales process and customer interactions are measured to drive continuous improvement
○ Chair regular Critical Account Sales meetings
○ Steadily increase the value of the Alpha Health brand
● Drive Alpha Health from a delivery mindset to a growth mindset
2. Shape our go to market strategy and lead the differentiation of Alpha Health’s product portfolio in each of our selected target markets
● Define target customers, working with the Strategy, Service Design, and Product teams:
○ Oversee the development and implementation of a marketing strategy to define our target customers
○ Create a Missionary Sales team to reach and close our beachhead and early adopter target customers
○ Advocate and implement a brand and value proposition which is consistent with Alpha Health’s overall vision and existing and planned product portfolio; ensuring a Customer-Focused Philosophy
● Cultivate a Customer-Focused Philosophy across Alpha Health by serving as the “Voice of the Customer” in meetings with employees and stakeholdersOversee the analysis of market trends, reports and insights and translate them into a set of compelling marketing recommendations
● Unify and align multiple, unique, yet related products and/or service lines under a corporate brand, while advancing the value and marketability of our branded suite of solutions and services through a variety of channels
● Ensure close alignment with Alpha Health Product, Engineering and Behaviour teams
● Drive and lead milestone achievements and challenges, and work with CEO to update and adjust as necessary.
3. Establish and build partnerships central to executing the Alpha Health Moonshot strategy, designed to provide exponential company impact in areas of growth, learning, and access to markets
● Map evolving Alpha Health strategy to current team capabilities to identify gaps to be filled through a targeted portfolio of partnerships
● Help identify critical partners for Alpha Health in the delivery of our strategy and m
● Develop, negotiate and close agreements with Alpha Health partners with a focus on win-win relationships, Alpha Health freedom-to-operate, and Alpha Health commercial benefit
● Develop business models in line with our evolving activity plan, including
○ B2G (Government), B2B, B2C, and C2B2C (peer network)
● Manage Partnership relationships in the best interest of Alpha Health, overseeing delivery in partnership with other Alpha Health teams
4. Leadership: Ensure that the whole team is fully aligned and dedicated to its successful delivery
● Accountable for team motivation and engagement with functional domain and as a leader across Alpha Health
● Allocate resources accordingly, ensuring we meet our ambitious deadlines, and answer our key hypotheses, help create scalable processes for project implementation and experiment with new methods, collaborating with team members to optimize current processes
● Set and manage deadlines
● Manage budget and go-to-market (GTM) operations including legal, customer support, payment mechanism, etc.
● Considerable (e.g., 10+ years) experience in a sales, business development, and growth role, with strong experience, deep relationships, and repeated success in selling complex, innovative, high-value solutions in the healthcare industry
● Substantial track-record driving growth in user-facing services, including digital
● Excellent knowledge of the dynamics in the digital health market
● Eager to embrace and thrive in a complex sales environment, with incentive compensation
Required skills and attributes
● A passion for sales and driving disruptive innovation for market success
● Excellent ability to build strong relationships with a range of partners
● Ability to bridge strategy to sales execution ensuring that sales, marketing, and business development teams have to direction and resources to execute
● Distinctive knowledge of target markets (including healthcare markets in EU, LatAm, and US), leveraging an excellent, up-to-date network of deep relevant relationships
● Desire to challenge the status quo with charming strength, personal resilience, and (im)patience
● Ability to source intelligence through formal and informal systems and networks
● Excellent problem-solver and agile/independent thinker, able to resolve complex data to cut through to the key issues, make quick recommendations, and explain key decisions, and provide summary information
● Ability to structure, negotiate and close effective deals, including partnership collaborations for sales and distribution
● Must speak, read and write excellent English (Spanish a benefit)
● Able to recruit and provide quality leadership to a high octane sales and marketing team
● The ability to handle pressure and meet deadlines
● Skill in prioritizing and triaging obligations
● Ability to inspire teams to bridge the gap between big, bold vision and tactical next steps
- We provide all the necessary help and perks to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable all year round, like:
- Benefits package (health, pension, life)
- Casual dress code and open culture
- Flexible work schedule
- High social impact with world-wide reach
- Free daily catering for lunch and large stocked kitchen
- Weekly Lunch & Learn sessions with guests talking about the most varied world topics
- Work & learn with some of the very best minds in innovation & ideation
- Our environment is friendly and open, we are a democratic team that encourages everybody to contribute ideas and acquire new skills.
- Based in Barcelona, right by the beach!