Operations Director (Health Moonshot)
Health Moonshot – Leadership
Alpha is an innovation start-up based in Barcelona, established by Telefonica in early 2016.
Alpha’s mission is to create Moonshots: audacious projects that use radical ideas and breakthrough technology to address some of the biggest challenges in society. Moonshots are designed to affect 100 Million people or more, be a force for good on the planet, and grow into impactful businesses.
We are building a team to work on ground-breaking and life-changing projects in the health and energy sector. More Moonshots are to come in a range of exciting domains.
Alpha Health Moonshot
Worldwide, healthcare costs have been increasing faster than GDP for 50 years, whilst key indicators such as life expectancy have plateaued in many countries. The root cause is a change in disease burden; across the world, today’s biggest diseases and biggest killers are chronic diseases such as cancer, heart attack, stroke, and mental health disorders. In fact, for every life saved from infections since 2000, we’ve lost two lives to chronic disease.
It’s now well-established that the main cause of chronic diseases is everyday behaviours such as poor diet, lack of exercise, using tobacco, excessive alcohol, or lack of sleep. Yet healthcare systems are not geared-up to manage such behaviours at their source. To make the challenge even harder, pioneers in neuroscience and behavioural economics have begun to reveal that people are not even really in conscious control of much of their everyday behaviour.
At Alpha, we believe that advances in neuroscience, mobile computing, and machine learning now mean we can help people to take control of their own behaviour, optimise their life, and limit the effects of unhealthy behaviour on their bodies and their minds.
To support our work, we are partnering with the best academics, developers, companies, and professionals around the world.
Reporting to the CEO of Alpha Health, enable the CEO to focus on what only the CEO can do. Add complimentary bandwidth and skills enhancing CEO and Alpha Leadership team results; make the whole greater than the sum of the parts.
Be the Force Multiplier to:
- Increase the productivity of the CEO and Alpha Health Leadership team
- Provide the organisation with a relentless focus on the CEO's priorities to ensure positive outcomes
- Ensure the Alpha Health Leadership team execute clinically on the CEO’s direction through effective management of communications, progress tracking, and stakeholder management
- Ensure the health of the entire organization through effective management and leadership between the Alpha Health Leadership team, key stakeholders, and CEO.
Management of the strategic initiatives:
- Own the strategic roadmap planning ensuring successful communication & implementation
-Tracking of deliverables and benefits realisation; facilitate removal of barriers ; eliminate surprises
- Stakeholder management
- Sounding board / confidante to shareholder; representative for CEO
- Management of operational and financial dashboards
- Provision of executive reporting, commentary and analysis
- Prepare recommendations
- Ability to interpret and work closely with financial metrics
- Management of the budget reporting and commentary
Day to Day management of the Alpha Health Project Portfolio:
- Design, implement, and manage CEO governance structure and (inter)dependencies
- Definition of performance metrics and management of the performance across the portfolio Define CEO meetings: purpose, agenda, and review, for maximum benefit
- Design, implement and manage tracking system to manage the portfolio of work
- Meeting follow up and tracking of actions
Strategic management of the Alpha Health Project Portfolio:
- Management and financial performance reporting on the ‘portfolio of investments’
- Ability to identify, assess and evaluate patterns/outcomes in experimental pieces of work; confident enough in judgement to act on these assessments
- Understanding of early-stage ventures and how to nurture and grow them as well as when to kill them
- Clear and decisive approach; an advocate of all the companies in the portfolio
- Exhibition of thought leadership through knowledge of and interest in disruptive technology environments - a working knowledge/experience is ideal
CEO ‘Stunt Double’:
- Provide synopsis of operating environments
- Represent/be the ambassador for CEO at events
- Relieve CEO of meeting drain, removing unwanted noise; resolve and mediate conflict
- Promote healthy tension to amplify positive results
- Independent thinker with fierce loyalty ensuring the CEO effectiveness maximised
- Improving the reliability of decision making
- Generalist leadership characteristics
- Ability to source intelligence through formal and informal systems and networks
- Resolve complex data to provide summary information on a wide range of subjects
- Poise and calmness under pressure
- Finely honed oral and written communication with an innate ability to “tell the story"
- Unimpeachable integrity and trustworthiness
- Selflessness with a desire to serve
- Diplomacy in managing agendas and egos
- A ‘sixth sense’ to know:
- When to speak and when to remain silent
- When to intervene and when to let things run their course
- What information is reliable and what needs to be questioned and challenged
- How to respond to ‘unhelpful’ developments
- How to best keep the CEO focused on the top priorities
We provide all the necessary help and perks to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable all year round, like:
- Benefits package (health, pension, life)
- Casual dress code and open culture
- Flexible work schedule
- High social impact with world-wide reach
- Free daily catering for lunch and large stocked kitchen
- Weekly ‘Lunch and Learn’ sessions with guests talking about the most varied world topics
- Work and learn with some of the very best minds in innovation and ideation
- A friendly and open environment
- A democratic team culture that encourages everybody to contribute ideas and acquire new skills
- Based in Barcelona, right by the beach!
Join us on this exciting journey if you’re motivated by making the world a better place, for real, by making a positive impact on society and by improving people’s lives. This is about solving really hard problems – not (just) about making cool things. You could personally have an effect on millions of people’s lives. Are you up for the challenge?