Health Moonshot – Engineering
Alpha is a long term innovation facility created by Telefonica in 2016 to work on moonshot projects. These are audacious projects, on the edge of what is technically possible, that will affect 100s of millions of people, have a positive societal impact, and grow into billion Euro businesses.
Alpha Health Moonshot
Worldwide, healthcare costs have been increasing faster than GDP for 50 years, whilst key indicators such as life expectancy have plateaued in many countries. The root cause is a change in disease burden; across the world, today’s biggest diseases and biggest killers are chronic diseases such as cancer, heart attack, stroke, and mental health disorders. In fact, for every life saved from infections since 2000, we’ve lost two lives to chronic disease.
It’s now well-established that the main cause of chronic diseases is everyday behaviours such as poor diet, lack of exercise, using tobacco, excessive alcohol, or lack of sleep. Yet healthcare systems are not geared-up to manage such behaviours at their source. To make the challenge even harder, pioneers in neuroscience and behavioural economics have begun to reveal that people are not even really in conscious control of much of their everyday behaviour.
At Alpha, we believe that advances in neuroscience, mobile computing, and machine learning now mean we can help people to take control of their own behaviour, optimise their life, and limit the effects of unhealthy behaviour on their bodies and their minds.
To support our work, we are partnering with the best academics, developers, companies, and professionals around the world.
Alpha Health is looking for a Front-End Engineer to join our Digital Therapeutics unit. You will help us deliver rigorous, evidence based digital therapies that combine the very best of medical device quality and safety with consumer application best practice.
OUR TECH STACK (Alpha Health - Clinical)
- Angular front-ends for web.
- Ionic 4 apps for mobile devices
- NodeJS + TypeScript for the backend running on a Docker infrastructure in the Cloud (AWS).
- Develop new user-facing features.Work closely with designers to validate design direction, implementation opportunities, and feasibility.
- Develop UIs with attention to design detail, ensuring exceptional visual implementation of subtle interactions and affordances.
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use.
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders.
- You make your team better through code reviews and participating in Agile conventions.
- Support software documentation efforts under our Quality Management System (QMS) towards FDA clearance.
- Complete QMS training as required.
- Write clean, responsive, and accessible HTML and CSS code.
- Extensive experience building web applications using HTML5, CSS and SASS.
- Understanding of modern CSS development techniques like BEM, OOCSS, or Atomic design.
- Comfortable doing some POCs to validate some prototypes.
- Highly motivated and experienced professional focused on creating an energized environment with a 'Getting things done' attitude.
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions and unexpected obstacles, modifying work methods to accomplish goals.
- Good level of English
- Experience as a mobile developer with native (Android, iOS) and/or using hybrid frameworks (Ionic, Flutter or React-Native).
- Experience with Unit Testing.
- Use of dev-tools (profiling and debugging).
- You have experience in developing back-ends with NodeJS, possibly using TypeScript.
- Experience working with Software as Medical Device (SaMD) or regulated medical device software.
We provide all the necessary help and perks to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable all year round, like:
- Benefits package (health, pension, life)
- Casual dress code and open culture
- Flexible work schedule
- High social impact with world-wide reach
- Free daily catering for lunch and large stocked kitchen
- Weekly ‘Lunch and Learn’ sessions with guests talking about the most varied world topics
- Work and learn with some of the very best minds in innovation and ideation
- A friendly and open environment
- A democratic team culture that encourages everybody to contribute ideas and acquire new skills
- Based in Barcelona, right by the beach!
Join us on this exciting journey if you’re motivated by making the world a better place, for real, by making a positive impact on society and by improving people’s lives. This is about solving really hard problems – not (just) about making cool things. You could personally have an effect on millions of people’s lives. Are you up for the challenge?