Research Scientist – Privacy Preserving Machine Learning (6 month contract - part time)
Health Moonshot – AI
Alpha is an innovation start-up based in Barcelona, established by Telefonica in early 2016. Alpha’s mission is to create Moonshots: audacious projects that use radical ideas and breakthrough technology to address some of the biggest challenges in society. Such Moonshots are designed to affect 100 Million people or more, be a force for good on the planet, and grow into impactful businesses.
We are building a team to work on ground-breaking and life changing projects and products in the health and learning sectors. More and different Moonshots are to come.
Alpha Health Moonshot: Artificial Intelligence Department
The AI team in Alpha Health is set up to tackle some of the biggest AI and Machine-Learning challenges we face when working on the Moonshot of eradicating chronic diseases from the list of top causes of death. Our team will consist of an interdisciplinary team of world-class research scientists in the fields of computer science, maths, computational neuroscience, physics and machine-learning. We build proof-of-concept stage prototypes to solve some of the key challenges in AI and Machine-Learning in the field.
Specifically, this means solving 3 key challenges in AI:
- “Empathic AI”: Understanding and reacting to human emotion, measured by multi-
- “Anonymous & Distributed Machine-Learning”: Development and implementation of a
framework to train ML algorithms without “touching” or “seeing” the users’ data.
(example: Federated Learning & Homomorphic Encryption)
- “Trustworthy AI”: Design and implementation of ML algorithms that are “explainable”
and no longer a black-box, and therefore help build trust in AI for sensitive use-cases
We are looking for a research scientist specialised on privacy preserving machine learning that will help us build systems that protect user’s data on the edge. This new incorporation should
- Be able to follow the cutting edge research on differential privacy, federated learning, homomorphic encryption and machine learning
- Work closely with AI researchers to implement proofs of concept.
- Be able to implement proofs of concept from published academic works
- Be able to present his/her ideas into in a scientific and concise way and to a general public.
- Be able to think ahead and not afraid to propose new ideas to the team.
Comfortable of working with senior engineers and research professionals.
Happy to contribute code daily, as part of a high calibre software team in a challenging environment.
Experience working in an agile environment with defined goals and OKRs.
We are looking for someone with a PhD (or pursuing a PhD) in the fields of secure multipartycomputation, homomorphic encryption and/or federated learning. The ideal candidate should havepublications on these fields with applications to machine learning.
The candidate should have at least two years experience working in a professional environment, building software, ideally working with C, C++ or Rust.
We provide all the necessary help and perks to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable all year round, like:
- Benefits package (health, pension, life)
- Casual dress code and open culture
- Flexible work schedule
- High social impact with world-wide reach
- Free daily catering for lunch and large stocked kitchen
- Weekly ‘Lunch and Learn’ sessions with guests talking about the most varied world topics
- Work and learn with some of the very best minds in innovation and ideation
- A friendly and open environment
- A democratic team culture that encourages everybody to contribute ideas and acquire new skills
- Based in Barcelona, right by the beach!
Join us on this exciting journey if you’re motivated by making the world a better place, for real, by making a positive impact on society and by improving people’s lives. This is about solving really hard problems – not (just) about making cool things. You could personally have an effect on millions of people’s lives. Are you up for the challenge?