Senior Design Researcher/Service Designer
Energy Moonshot – Energy Moonshot
Alpha is an innovation start-up based in Barcelona, established by Telefonica in early 2016. Alpha’s mission is to create Moonshots: audacious projects that use radical ideas and breakthrough technology to address some of the biggest challenges in society. Moonshots are designed to affect 100 Million people or more, be a force for good on the planet, and grow into impactful businesses.
We are building a team to work on ground-breaking and life-changing projects in the health and energy sector. More Moonshots are to come in a range of exciting domains.
Alpha Energy Moonshot
Alpha Energy is exploring and developing radically new distribution solutions to deliver reliable, clean energy that is affordable and accessible for everyone. There are 2.3 Billion people around the world that have poor or no access to energy; we believe that to deliver transformative solutions, we need to innovate on the delivery of reliable, clean energy, at a productive level so that we can enable long-term positive impact on these communities. Taking a fresh look at the future of the grid, we will develop new intelligent systems for distributing clean energy and democratizing the model, enabling people to manage their energy networks from the bottom-up.
Alpha Energy is looking for a Senior Design Researcher/Service Designer as one of the first hires of the product team. You should have at least five years of experience; and we welcome applications from more experienced professionals. Previous work history in agency, consulting or startups is valued. Ability to move to Barcelona and travel for work is required. Please include a URL for your online portfolio in addition to your resume. Submissions without a portfolio included will not be considered.
- Plan, organise and conduct design research in the field. Including foundational research understanding culture and opportunities as well as evaluating individual value propositions.
- Plan, coordinate and hold user testing sessions where prototypes are introduced and capture feedback on a particular value proposition, i.e., NUF test, usability, and others.
- Actively participate in data capturing, organising, presenting and synthesising to obtain insights. From primary and secondary sources.
- Iteratively develop ways to test continuously individual prototypes and concepts for validation and evaluation. Design and execute experiments.
- See insights turned into real products throughout the design process (from inspiration and discovery to testing and validation).
- Be the voice that carries user insights into actual design solutions and bring those to life into product features.
- Keep an eye on the field for new methods and tools to incorporate into our processes.
- A storyteller - able to present and visualise a clear, concise narrative that gets a team excited about what the data means for them.
- A people person, able to get into people’s heads, hearts and minds with empathy.
- You are confortable with uncertainty. Able to plan when there is little understanding/knowledge about a topic and able to devise and execute a strategy to shed light on it.
- Able and happy to work in multidisciplinary teams, bridging gaps of understanding among disciplines and worldviews.
- Able to work with engineers, scientists, business leaders and others that do not share your understanding of the world.
- Have a “can do” attitude and are able to navigate the uncertainty associated with working on an early stage company. Shifting gears and wearing different hats when needed.
- Experience in Energy or related fields (electric mobility, sustainability, software/hardware startups etc…) advantageous.
- We provide all the necessary help and benefits to make your life at work and outside of work fun and comfortable all year round, like:
- Great benefits package (health, pension, life)
- High social impact work with worldwide reach
- Open and informal work culture
- Free daily catering for lunch and large stocked kitchen
- Weekly Lunch & Learn sessions with guests talking about the most varied world topics
- Work & learn with some of the very best minds in innovation & ideation
- Our environment is friendly and open, we are a democratic team that encourages everybody to contribute ideas and acquire new skills.
- Based in Barcelona, right by the beach!
Join us on this exciting journey if you are motivated by making the world a better place, for real, by making a positive impact on society and by improving people’s lives. This is about solving hard problems - not about making cool things. You could personally have an effect on millions of people’s lives. Are you up to the challenge?