Director of Food Science
We believe that good food should also be good for the planet and all of its inhabitants. By harnessing the power of plants, we are creating delicious and affordable substitutes to animal products that use a fraction of the resources, allowing us to feed more people with less. If you believe in our mission, we would love to hear from you.
We are looking for a food science leader who has the desire to drastically improve our food system. As the director of food science, you will be tasked with establishing the Food Science department in the company and leading the R&D efforts on developing novel plant-based products using new varieties of proprietary plants. We are looking for bold innovators who possess a deep technical background in food science and a passion for bringing superior plant-based products to market. This is a key role that will shape what products are developed and commercialized.
- Build the company’s food science department based on a strong scientific foundation
- Recruit and retain food scientists within the organization
- Lead the food science team that develops animal-free products using the company’s proprietary ingredients
- Generate novel applications and develop patent applications
- Design and set-up a food science lab capable of performing a full set of analytical functions, new product development and QC protocols
- Hire and develop an R&D team of food scientists with diverse expertise in processing agricultural products, food products, fermentation and dairy and plant-protein processing
- Implement systems for evaluating and analyzing animal protein products on a molecular level as affected by source, composition and processing
- Have or develop an in-depth understanding of the texture and flavor of various animal-based proteins and related products on an organoleptic and molecular level
- Work with R&D team to develop a range of plant-based, animal-free products using Alpine Roads’ proprietary ingredients and technologies
- Work with the culinary team to optimize food formulations for flavor, texture and consumer acceptability
Required skills and experience
- MS or PhD in Food Science or a related field with minimum 10 years of industry experience
- Strong molecular and sensory understanding of food flavor and texture
- Experience setting up food science lab from scratch
- Wide network of food scientists to recruit from
- Experience managing a technical team of 5 or more food scientists, including PhDs
- Experience developing and processing dairy products
Alpine Roads offers competitive compensation, generous healthcare, dental and vision plans, 401K and commuter benefits.