Chief Scientific Officer
Seattle, WA Hybrid
Research – Leadership /
Full time /
Alpine Immune Sciences is a leading clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering and developing innovative, protein-based immunotherapies for autoimmune and inflammatory diseases. Exciting challenges lie ahead—guided by our core values, we’ll meet these challenges. Join us!
Alpine seeks a Chief Scientific Officer with a track record of success to enable the company to fully realize its potential for patients, their families and its stakeholders.
The CSO joins in a breakthrough year for the company as it has refined its therapeutic area focus and gained significant business momentum. Notwithstanding the positive news flow from Alpine’s clinical programs, the company remains deeply committed to its research organization and the highly productive platform that has produced them.
To quote senior leadership at Alpine, “Biological ideas are the lifeblood” of the company.
· Recruit, develop and retain world class scientists and build a strong research team that is highly productive and efficient.
· Foster a culture of creativity and innovation along with teamwork and collaboration.
· Articulate a research strategy which builds on Alpine’s strengths and unique capabilities and establishes clear objectives.
· Lead early discovery research from target identification through preclinical assessment, including collaborations with other companies and academia.
· Depending on prior experience/interest, translational medicine could report to the CSO. However structured, the CSO will ensure superb partnership with other functions to include clinical development, manufacturing, etc.
· Participate in business development efforts to acquire or license technologies and intellectual property.
Represent Alpine to patients, physicians, industry partners, media and academia.
Qualifications & Experience:
We seek a scientist with a passion for the discovery of novel autoimmune and inflammatory disease therapeutics. He or she will have an exemplary track record of leadership in the biopharmaceutical industry.
· Bring vision – and “biological ideas.”
· Takes intelligent risks and is willing to be held accountable.
· Ph.D. and/or M.D. or equivalent with deep background in immunology, including research credentials and publications.
· Track record of innovation in discovery of autoimmune and inflammatory disease therapies. This would ideally include successful leadership of protein therapeutic clinical candidates from discovery to FIH/phase 1.
· Hands-on experience in designing, executing, and interpreting research, including protein sciences/engineering and immunology in vitro and in vivo pharmacology.
· Demonstrated experience in applications of translational sciences (e.g. biomarkers for disease stratification and/or diagnostics) would be a significant plus.
· Track record having built as well as led high-functioning teams.
· Excellent at assessing quality of opportunities and people.
· Avoids bureaucracy - prior experience working in an entrepreneurial setting is high valued.
· Enables a flexible and innovative working environment.
Other Personal Characteristics
· Strong work ethic.
· Excels at written and verbal communication.
Alpinists share a passion for meaningful work and are committed to solving the most complex problems in immunology to create new therapies for patients. We believe in innovative thinking, collaboration, flexibility, bias for action, and healthy debate. To foster our team of outstanding scientists and business professionals, we provide a premier work environment with a state-of-the-art lab and office spaces with truly inspiring views, and an open design to facilitate teamwork.
Our treasured culture has been shaped by our diverse team who truly enjoys working and playing together. We nurture Alpine’s culture in many ways, including all-company social events and happy hours, lunch-and-learn and education opportunities, interest groups like book club and movie nights, peer-to-peer recognition programs, a robust wellness program to help support physical, mental, and emotional health, and more.
Alpine is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Alpine is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Our office and lab are located in the blossoming biotech neighborhood of Eastlake in Seattle. Alpinists enjoy the flexibility to work onsite, remotely, or a hybrid schedule, with evolving options as we prioritize keeping Alpinists safe and healthy. Onsite employees enjoy an open-office layout with comfortable huddle rooms and Zoom Room-enabled conference rooms, a spacious breakroom and kitchen with a coffee bar and snacks, and rooftop access to enjoy gorgeous views of Lake Union and Gas Works Park.
Exciting challenges lie ahead—guided by our core values, we’ll meet these challenges. Join us!