Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States /
Altarum Institute – Finance/Accounting /
The Controller manages the Enterprise’s corporate accounting and finance department, a Shared Service for the Altarum Enterprise. The Controller oversees accounting practices and internal controls, analyzes, and interprets financial data and recommends changes to improve systems and financial performance. The position directs the use of the general ledger and all accounting systems. The Controller is responsible for managing compliance with applicable federal and local regulations within the accounting function, managing tax filings, and leading audits. Must be able to collaborate effectively with individuals both within the Contracts, Finance and Accounting Departments as well as outside the department and proactively collaborate with internal stakeholders to assess the operations of the organization. The Controller is responsible for building a collaborative and effective team, developing staff in the skills necessary to make a strong contribution to the organization.
- Oversee the finance and accounting operations provided as a shared service for the Altarum Enterprise including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL and Payroll, Cost Accounting, Fixed Asset Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Ensures quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Maintains proper segregation of duties and risk management practices to preserve assets.
- Develops, documents, and maintains business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Partner with Accounting and Finance leaders on process improvements, including system assessment and implementation efforts
- Ensure month-end and year-end close process deliver timely consolidated financial statements for multiple entities
- Manage treasury functions collaboratively with the CFO.
- Manage Indirect cost structures, including disclosure statements, managing incurred cost audits, and overseeing incurred cost submissions. Demonstrated ability to analyze and implement new indirect rate structures.
- Maintain Federally Approved Accounting Systems and ensure that accounting policies and procedures comply with DCAA guidelines and the FAR.
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Oversee support of audits.
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance.
- Recommends financial metrics and benchmarks to drive financial performance
- Closely partners with the FP&A function to support data needs and analysis
- Proactively partners with others outside of Finance and Accounting to resolve issues
- Exercises good judgement and operates with professionalism and integrity
- Actively supports diversity and inclusion in all aspects of work
- Provides guidance, mentorship, and feedback related to staff development and performance
- Recognizes and creates an effective method of minimizing and addressing conflict
- Promote a high-quality customer experience for both internal and external clients
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field required with 10 years of experience in accounting with a minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience
- Experience working in a Federal Government Contracting environment
- Experience with Deltek Costpoint and Time & Expense
- Strong organization, time management, and analytical skills
- Proficient with MS Office applications
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and people skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with others to achieve goals
- Self-starter and detail-oriented
- At this time we will only accept candidates who are presently eligible to work in the United States and will not require sponsorship.
- Our organization requires that all work, for the duration of your employment, must be completed in the continental U.S. unless required by contract.
- Must be able to work during eastern time unless approved by your manager.
Altarum is a nonprofit organization focused on improving the health of individuals with fewer financial resources and populations disenfranchised by the health care system. We work primarily on behalf of federal and state governments to design and implement solutions that achieve measurable results. We combine our expertise in public health and health care delivery with technology development and implementation, practice transformation, training and technical assistance, quality improvement, data analytics, and applied research and evaluation. Our innovative solutions and proven processes lead to better value and health for all.
In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (3% employer contribution plus opportunity for gainsharing), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.