Program Director, Health Economics and Policy
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States /
Altarum Institute – Population Health/Applied Research Analytics /
Altarum is seeking a passionate and committed leader to guide its Health Economics and Policy Portfolio within our Applied Research and Analytics Practice Area. As an Altarum Program Director you will work within your Practice Area to oversee and lead projects within your scope and portfolio, supervise and mentor staff, provide operational and financial inputs to leadership, oversee client relationships, lead select proposals and business development efforts, provide support to your Practice Area Senior Director, and provide thought leadership. An ideal candidate would have experience developing and leading Health Economics and Policy research. In addition, we’re looking for a leader who has experience mentoring staff, and building team morale and engagement.
Project and Client Oversight
- Model the values of the organization
- Lead and manage Health Economics and Policy portfolio projects and work with the Practice Area Director to create a vision and strategy for portfolio of work
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with federal, state, and philanthropic clients including developing appropriate approaches to addressing client concerns and pain points
- Monitor and track project execution to ensure budgets and timelines are met
- Implement quality assurance and control processes for project deliverables and services
- Review and quality check projects, prepare monthly status reports and financial reports
- Prepare presentations and conduct in-process reviews with leadership and client staff
- Identify subcontractor needs and sources, review statements of work and monitor subcontractor performance
- Oversee development of project plans and resources estimates, including planning level of effort projections for projects in your portfolio; set objectives, develop project work plans, establish milestones, and assign tasks to staff to fulfill scope of work
- Track and deliver KPIs (key performance indicators)
- Foster a great-place-to-work environment for all staff
- Coordinate with other Program Directors and managers to ensure that staff are allocated appropriately as needed across projects
- Provide constructive feedback and guidance
- Discuss and document professional development goals and progress
- Address performance issues and discuss areas for growth
- Identify projects and opportunities and structure tasking to provide growth and professional development
- Coach on problem solving to address issues as needed
Practice Area Support
- Provide support to practice area leadership and provide operational, project and financial inputs for your portfolio of projects and clients
- Lead business development discussions and strategy with Practice Area leadership
- Develop and maintain relationships with funders and partners and work on strategic growth within the Practice Area and division
- Monitor, identify, and pursue opportunities through new, extended or expanded growth
- Develop relationships with external contacts, consultants, and experts in the field to help further organizational goals and fulfill Altarum’s mission.
- Lead technical proposals and contribute to level of estimate and staffing plans
- Help to identify staff to contribute to proposals and work on the new opportunities
- Conceptualize and contribute to writing proposals
- Review draft proposals
- Gather intel to inform Go-No-Go decisions about funding opportunities
- Contribute to and lead publications, conference presentations, webinars etc. in your area of expertise
- Write and publish blogs and thought leadership pieces for Altarum and others as applicable
- Participate in strategic planning and visioning sessions and lead ad hoc strategic efforts in your areas of expertise
- Master’s degree in a related field with 10+ years of relevant work experience in health economics and health policy, and management of federal and state contracts or grants; PhD preferred
- Assertive and persuasive communication (written, verbal, and listening) and ability to publish and present work products and thought leadership pieces
- Experience leading responses to RFP/RFI/RFQ for Federal, State and Philanthropic opportunities
- Experience building new relationships and maintaining strong partners
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Experience in quantitative, qualitative, and mixed-methods analyses
- People management and leadership skills to mentor staff for personal development and encourage team-oriented collaboration
- Expertise in one or more topics in the current portfolio of work in this program area is desirable, including: health spending, health care affordability, health workforce, health care markets, and costs and benefits of investments in upstream determinants of health
- At this time we will only accept candidates who are presently eligible to work in the United States and will not require sponsorship.
- Our organization requires that all work, for the duration of your employment, must be completed in the continental U.S. unless required by contract.
- If you are local to our offices in Arlington, Silver Spring, Ann Arbor, or Portland this role will be hybrid.
- Must be able to work during eastern time unless approved by your manager.
Altarum is a nonprofit organization focused on improving the health of individuals with fewer financial resources and populations disenfranchised by the health care system. We work primarily on behalf of federal and state governments to design and implement solutions that achieve measurable results. We combine our expertise in public health and health care delivery with technology development and implementation, practice transformation, training and technical assistance, quality improvement, data analytics, and applied research and evaluation. Our innovative solutions and proven processes lead to better value and health for all.
In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (3% employer contribution plus opportunity for gainsharing), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.