Software Engineering Director
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States /
Altarum Institute – Public Health Systems/PH IT Systems /
Are you looking for an opportunity to use your IT skills to truly change the world for the better? We are the leading non-profit organization that is redesigning the tools that enable public health agencies use to do their jobs. We need committed, mission-driven technologists to help us build the next generation of public health tools for our Public Health Systems department. Public Health Systems advances population health management and healthcare delivery through the development of public health IT systems, health information exchange and interoperability solutions. We work with State and Federal government agencies to build and develop software that impacts peoples live.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to help Altarum modernize the public health infrastructure and make a difference in your community. Our Public Health Systems department efforts range from building the next generation technology in disease surveillance to optimizing data standards and system integrations to improve the coordination and delivery of healthcare for patients. You’ll work in an Agile environment alongside a team of Software Developers, Business Analysts, and Public Health Analysts.
The Software Engineering Director is a leadership role within a growing custom software engineering team. This role will support that growth by helping establish sound software engineering standards across the organization, staying abreast of the latest technologies in public health IT and mentoring more junior staff. This role requires excellent communication skills including helping to write technical sections of client proposals. This is a hands-on development role as the SW Engineering Director will spend most of their time leading technical teams on client projects.
- Work with Chief Strategy Officer, Division VP, and Division Leadership to provide technical support on Division business objectives and proposals
- Lead a multi-million-dollar, complex health IT project using agile project management methodologies (scrum, Kanban, etc.) including Jira
- Work with other senior technical staff to implement standard technical processes and procedures including build processes, software repositories procedures, backup and data retention policies, etc.
- Work with client to jointly establish short- and long-term goals and collaboratively drive project excellence
- Mentor less experienced technical staff including helping with career development/learning paths.
- Inspirational and motivational leadership, setting the course to complete the project efficiently with excellence; experience with project turnarounds a plus
- Anticipate trends in the public health IT environment and prepare/investigate new technologies
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience plus 7 years of relevant work experience leading software engineering teams. Master’s degree preferred
- At least 5 years’ experience in public health IT
- Significant experience with Java frameworks including microservices architectures
- Significant experience with databases, both SQL and NoSQL
- Significant experience with Agile development methodologies
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Other Skills/ Abilities:
- Must have strong Java fundamentals and experience with Spring or Spring Boot, Hibernate, JSON and XML
- SOLR, Power BI, or Tableau is a plus
- Experience architecting/developing web applications using micro service architecture
- Technical development experience with REST/SOAP web services.
- Experience using cloud-based environments like AWS or Azure
- Experience with DevOps
- Experience with modern SDLC tools - Git, JIRA, Artifactory, Jenkins/TeamCity, OpenShift, Gradle
- Prefer experience processing Medical Document formats like HL7 / QRDA III / FHIR or processing other custom formatted files.
- Enjoy working with a large team and to helping to develop technical coding standards
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and a quick learner. You should have a broad base of software development experience, and be interested in continuing to grow technically via hands on experience and learning
Altarum is a nonprofit organization focused on improving the health of individuals with fewer financial resources and populations disenfranchised by the health care system. We work primarily on behalf of federal and state governments to design and implement solutions that achieve measurable results. We combine our expertise in public health and health care delivery with technology development and implementation, practice transformation, training and technical assistance, quality improvement, data analytics, and applied research and evaluation. Our innovative solutions and proven processes lead to better value and health for all.
In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (3% employer contribution plus opportunity for gainsharing), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.