Sexual and Reproductive Health Program Director
Arlington, Virginia, United States /
Altarum Institute – Population Health/Community Health /
Altarum is seeking a passionate and committed leader to guide its sexual and reproductive health (SRH) program. This position is an opportunity for a senior leader to center health equity and to pay particular attention to groups of people who continue to face discrimination and inequitable access to high-quality SRH care. As an Altarum Program Director, you will work within your Practice Area to oversee and lead projects within your scope and portfolio, supervise and mentor staff, provide operational and financial inputs to leadership, oversee projects and client relationships, lead select proposals and business development efforts, provide support to your Practice Area Senior Director, and provide thought leadership. An ideal candidate would have experience developing, funding, and leading SRH research and training projects. In addition, we’re looking for a leader who has experience mentoring staff, building team morale, and engagement.
Project and Client Oversight
- Model the values of the organization
- Lead and manage a set of federal, state and philanthropic projects focused on Sexual and Reproductive Health as part of the Community Health Practice Area
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with clients including developing appropriate approaches to addressing client concerns and pain points
- Monitor and track project execution to ensure budgets and timelines are met
- Implement quality assurance and control processes for project deliverables and services
- Review and quality check projects, prepare monthly status reports and financial reports
- Prepare presentations and conduct in-process reviews with leadership and client staff
- Identify subcontractor needs and sources, review statements of work, and monitor subcontractor performance
- Oversee development of project plans and resources estimates, including planning level of effort projections for projects in your portfolio; set objectives, develop project work plans, establish milestones, and assign tasks to staff to fulfill scope of work
- Track and deliver KPIs (key performance indicators)
- Contribute to and lead publications, conference presentations, webinars etc. related to Sexual and Reproductive Health and other related Community Health focus areas as needed.
- Write and publish blogs and thought leadership pieces for Altarum and others as applicable
- Participate in strategic planning and visioning sessions and lead ad hoc strategic efforts in Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Foster a great-place-to-work environment for all staff
- Coordinate with other Project Directors and managers to ensure that staff are allocated appropriately as needed across projects
- Provide constructive feedback and guidance
- Discuss and document professional development goals and progress
- Address performance issues and discuss areas for growth
- Identify projects and opportunities and structure tasking to provide growth and professional development
- Coach on problem solving to address issues as needed
Practice Area Support
- Provide support to practice area leadership and provide operational, project and financial inputs for your portfolio of projects and clients
- Participate in business development discussions and strategy with Practice Area leadership
- Develop and maintain relationships with funders and partners and work on strategic growth within the Practice Area and division leadership
- Work with Altarum’s Growth and Proposals team to monitor, identify, and pursue opportunities through new, extended or expanded growth
- Develop relationships with external contacts, consultants, and experts in the field to help further organizational goals and fulfill Altarum’s mission.
- Lead technical proposals and contribute to level of estimate and staffing plans
- Help to identify staff to contribute to proposals and work on the new opportunities
- Conceptualize and contribute to writing proposals especially with developing creative innovative programs and strategizing ideas for grants.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or Master’s degree in a related field is preferred with 7+ years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated thought leadership within the field, particularly around topics of sexual, reproductive, and maternal health
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in both project work and team leadership.
- Demonstrated success winning proposals, ideally from both government and foundation funders and with both contracts and grants
- Extensive experience with and understanding of federal government contracting.
- Proven skills at management of a team and leadership skills to mentor staff for personal development and encourage team-oriented collaboration
Altarum is a nonprofit organization focused on improving the health of individuals with fewer financial resources and populations disenfranchised by the health care system. We work primarily on behalf of federal and state governments to design and implement solutions that achieve measurable results. We combine our expertise in public health and health care delivery with technology development and implementation, practice transformation, training and technical assistance, quality improvement, data analytics, and applied research and evaluation. Our innovative solutions and proven processes lead to better value and health for all.
In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (3% employer contribution plus opportunity for gainsharing), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.