Manager, Senior Software Engineer
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States /
Altarum Institute – Public Health Systems /
Altarum, a nonprofit systems research and consulting organization serving government and private sector clients, is pleased to announce an opening for a Manager, Senior Software Engineer within the Public Health Systems department. The Public Health Systems department advances population health management and healthcare delivery through the development of novel applications and health information exchange and interoperability solutions.
As a Manager, Senior Software Engineer at Altarum, you will have the opportunity to help Altarum modernize the public health infrastructure and make a difference in your community. Our leading-edge solutions are helping state and local public health prepare for the next pandemic. You’ll work in an Agile environment alongside a team of Software Developers, Business Analysts, and Public Health Analysts.
- Acts as a supervisor or provides guidance to a team of Software Engineers.
- Work with a software engineers and analysts in developing systems that meet all technical and business requirements.
- Design highly scalable software solutions to improve functionality and system longevity.
- Lead a technical team and set development process practices and expectations.
- Use extensive industry experience to guide and lead organization goals.
- Able to effectively communicate with business leaders and stakeholders.
- Experience in developing prototypes of new concepts and technologies.
- Experience in software development methodologies and standards, test-driven development, data analysis, and reporting.
- While maintaining current production code, you must demonstrate a willingness to step into new roles and learn new technologies quickly.
- Be innovative and share ideas as we evaluate new or alternative data processing techniques to determine their usefulness in meeting project needs and deadlines.
- Stay current with new technologies, including tools, components, and frameworks.
- BS or MS degree in computer science
- 10+ years of experience working on Java/J2EE applications, strong knowledge of Object Orientated Programming, and experience with multiple databases
- Ability to manage a team of Software Engineers
- Strong Java fundamentals and experience with Spring or Spring Boot, Hibernate, JSON and XML
- Experience architecting/developing web applications using micro service architecture
- Technical development experience with REST/SOAP web services.
- Experience with modern SDLC tools - Git, JIRA, Artifactory, Jenkins/TeamCity, OpenShift, Gradle
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and a quick learner. You should have a broad base of software development experience, and be interested in continuing to grow technically via hands on experience and learning
- Comfortable working with multiple teams, dispersed nationally, and remote.
- Excellent written and verbal communication at both the business and technical level.
- Master’s level-degree, or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Prior experience as a manager with a team of direct reports
- Prefer experience processing Medical Document formats like HL7 / QRDA III / FHIR or processing other custom formatted files.
- Enjoys working with a large team and to help develop technical coding standards
- Experience using cloud-based servers like AWS
- Experience with Docker
- Mobile development experience
- SOLR, Power BI, or Tableau
- At this time we will only accept candidates who are presently eligible to work in the United States and will not require sponsorship.
- Our organization requires that all work, for the duration of your employment, must be completed in the continental U.S. unless required by contract.
- If you are local to our offices in Arlington, Silver Spring, Ann Arbor, or Portland this role will be hybrid.
- Must be able to work during eastern time unless approved by your manager.
Altarum is a nonprofit organization focused on improving the health of individuals with fewer financial resources and populations disenfranchised by the health care system. We work primarily on behalf of federal and state governments to design and implement solutions that achieve measurable results. We combine our expertise in public health and health care delivery with technology development and implementation, practice transformation, training and technical assistance, quality improvement, data analytics, and applied research and evaluation. Our innovative solutions and proven processes lead to better value and health for all.
In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (3% employer contribution plus opportunity for gainsharing), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.