State Lead Project Manager
Arlington, Virginia, United States /
AMMS – Medicare-Medicaid Services for States /
Altarum Medicare-Medicaid Services for States (AMMS) is a nonprofit organization that helps states create financially sustainable solutions to advance health, health equity, wellness, and independent living for individuals dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid. We help states build better programs for these individuals by providing exceptional national expertise around dual eligible and long-term services and supports (LTSS) policy and program administration. Our hands-on, state-specific, data-driven approaches improve individuals’ quality of life and outcomes, while efficiently managing Medicaid dollars.
We support state efforts to grow expertise, build Medicare-Medicaid integration capacity, and achieve success by assessing current situations and offering tailored approaches to achieve person-centered care. Our services include strategy and program design, program administration and operations, and communications. They range from developing Medicare proficiency, increasing coordination across the two programs, to implementing fully integrated programs.
We are pleased to announce an opening for a State Lead Project Manager. This position is critical to the implementation and execution of state client initiatives focused on advancing better coordination and integration of services and supports for dually eligible individuals. Under the direction of the Executive Director, the State Lead Project Manager responsibilities will include managing, with little supervision, all aspects of state client projects and initiatives, including supervising project teams comprised of state staff and state contractors (e.g., actuaries) to achieve project goals and objectives in a team atmosphere. The State Lead Project Manager is responsible for arranging state staff resources, running project workgroups internal and external to the state, adjusting assignments and delegating tasks, managing budgets, leading progress reporting, and conducting presentations to state leadership and funders.
Our ideal candidate is a self-starter with experience managing multi-faceted projects that are operating at various phases of a project lifecycle and leading teams with state clients and stakeholders to success with a proven track record. To be successful in this role, the candidate must have a robust attention to detail, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and an ability to maintain a positive relationship with state clients and diverse stakeholders including the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), dually eligible individuals, health, medical, behavioral health, LTSS, and community-based providers, health plans and others.
AMMS is a mission driven nonprofit organization with roots in designing and facilitating policy and program change for dually eligible individuals so that they can achieve their highest level of health and quality of life and addressing the cost-shifting that often occurs between Medicare and Medicaid. As a State Lead Project Manager, you’ll have an opportunity to advance diverse projects for states during your career at AMMS, and you’ll work with a passionate, innovative team of Medicaid and Medicare professionals, analysts, and researchers.
- Plan, manage, and execute Medicare-Medicaid projects with states from beginning to end, within budget and time constraints. Manage processes for budgets, timelines, technical documentation, project briefings and reviews, and take ownership of all contract deliverables and program success.
- Provide professional client interface, ensure responsiveness to client requirements and concerns.
- Manage a diverse team of partners within State Medicaid leadership and staff, as well as State Aging Agency and Disability Agency leadership and staff, state contractors, and AMMS subcontractors.
- Effectively lead partnership efforts to initiate and sustain collaboration among project partners and stakeholders.
- Engage stakeholders and manage stakeholder interface.
- Manage and oversee technical assistance, support and staff extension services provided to states to implement better programs for dually eligible individuals.
- Negotiate and oversee contracts with health plans and other entities on behalf of the state
- Create briefs, reports, blogs, presentations, and other written documents to articulate the progress and value of the work.
- Review the work of team members to ensure the highest standards of quality.
- Continually identify lessons learned, evaluate completed tasks, and make process improvements based upon successful and unsuccessful project elements. Develop best practices for AMMS.
- Continue to foster and develop relationships with organizations relevant to Medicare-Medicaid integration work and strategy efforts.
- Engage stakeholders and policymakers to promote shared commitments and coordinate efforts with related programs in ways to maximize and sustain dual integration initiatives and programs.
- MPH or related advanced degree from an accredited college or university in Healthcare Administration, or related field preferred.
- Prefer five (5) years of experience in managing multi-faceted projects.
- Experience leading senior professionals and staff with a collaborative, team-oriented style toward objectives consistent with the role described above.
- Experience managing project budgets, plans, teams and complex time-sensitive deliverables and deadlines.
- Proven track record leading, thinking strategically, innovating, acting with integrity, and exceeding client expectations.
- Strong analytical/critical thinking skills, and content area knowledge and expertise related to Medicaid and Medicare preferred.
- Knowledge of various continuous quality improvement frameworks and processes.
- Solid proficiency in the use of all basic office software applications (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
ABOUT ALTARUM MEDICARE-MEDICAID SERVICES FOR STATES:
Altarum Medicare-Medicaid Services for States (AMMS) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan. We assist State Medicaid programs to improve the health and well-being of individuals enrolled in Medicaid and Medicare through policy and program research and analysis, program implementation, oversight, and evaluation, and staff extension services. We improve the health and well-being of individuals dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid by building better systems of care and empowering all people to make well informed decisions about their Medicare and Medicaid services and supports.
In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, AMMS offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (3% employer contribution plus opportunity for gainsharing), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
AMMS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.