Chief Operating Officer
Opportunities with Alter's Partner Companies
Lori is a venture-backed, rapidly growing organization that is building a cutting-edge logistics infrastructure for trucking in Africa. The start-up is tackling a massive issue - $180 billion is spent annually on haulage across Africa, and up to 75% of a product’s cost is due to logistics, compared to 6% in the US.
Lori’s tech-enabled and operations-driven marketplace efficiently connects transport to cargo. The supply chain management system brings transparency and has significantly improved flexibility, reliability, and cost savings (savings upwards of 18%). The company has experienced 30% month-over-month compounded growth since product launch in May 2017.
The market demand for Lori’s platform is increasing exponentially. To continue this pace of growth, Lori recently closed a landmark raise from globally leading institutional and strategic investors. The company won Techcrunch’s 2017 Battlefield Africa.
The Lori team of ~90 employees is led by nerds obsessed with revolutionizing logistics in Africa:
● Josh Sandler, CEO: industrialization + logistics work, Harvard MBA/MPA-ID, South African native
● Jean-Claude Homawoo, CPO: Product Lead at Google, VP Strategy at iRoko; Harvard MBA, Togolese native
● Fredrik Johansson, Head of Ops: COO of $80mm Swedish supply chain co, MSc in Eng (thesis in Tanzania)
● S. Andrew Musoke, Head of Commercial: VP (Sales) at JP Morgan; Harvard MBA, Ugandan native
● Gichini Ngaruiya, CTO: Y Combinator, co-founder/CTO of E la Carte (raised $50mm+), MIT CS, Kenyan native
We are seeking a Chief Operating Officer to help Lori achieve its goal of becoming the largest e-logistics company in global emerging markets. The position requires a driven, thoughtful, self-motivated leader with strong analytical and organizational skills and a strong track record of driving execution through people management, structured processes process and prioritisation. The COO will be largely responsible for day to day management of the business allowing the CEO to focus on strategy, partnerships, fundraising and growth. The successful candidate will support the build our of our global exec team and will lead geographically diverse and cross-functional teams.
For more details, visit https://www.lorisystems.com/careers
- Implement and execute global strategy
- Work with exec team to set targets & track performance across the organization
- Collaborate with CEO on five and ten-year plans for corporate growth and evolution
- Manage Regional GMs and expansion teams in reaching growth objectives
- Lead budgeting and resource allocation efforts
- Oversee talent acquisition and training
- Structure the organization effectively; build, grow, manage management; streamline cross-team collaboration for optimal operational efficiency
- 15+ years’ experience in management, operations and/or management consulting
- 7+ years’ experience in high-growth or technology environments
- Excellent project management skills balancing multiple projects and competing priorities
- Excellent management skills, proven ability to build, train and lead teams
- Strong analytical thinker who is data driven yet able to make decisions quickly
- Experience developing, implementing and achieving KPIs
- Experience with day-to-day operational finance
- MBA or equivalent advanced degree preferred