Vice President, Operations at Lori Systems
Nairobi, Lagos, Kampala
Portfolio Ventures – Operations
Lori is a venture-backed, rapidly growing organization that is building a cutting-edge logistics infrastructure for trucking in Africa. The start-up is tackling a massive issue - $180 billion is spent annually on haulage across Africa, and up to 75% of a product’s cost is due to logistics, compared to 6% in the US.
Lori’s tech-enabled and operations-driven marketplace efficiently connects transport to cargo. The supply chain management system brings transparency and has significantly improved flexibility, reliability, and cost savings (savings upwards of 18%). The company has experienced 30% month-over-month compounded growth since product launch in May 2017.
The market demand for Lori’s platform is increasing exponentially. To continue this pace of growth, Lori recently closed a landmark raise from globally leading institutional and strategic investors. The company won Techcrunch’s 2017 Battlefield Africa.
The Lori team of ~90 employees is led by nerds obsessed with revolutionizing logistics in Africa:
● Josh Sandler, CEO: industrialization + logistics work, Harvard MBA/MPA-ID, South African native
● Jean-Claude Homawoo, CPO: Product Lead at Google, VP Strategy at iRoko; Harvard MBA, Togolese native
● Fredrik Johansson, Head of Ops: COO of $80mm Swedish supply chain co, MSc in Eng (thesis in Tanzania)
● S. Andrew Musoke, Head of Commercial: VP (Sales) at JP Morgan; Harvard MBA, Ugandan native
● Gichini Ngaruiya, CTO: Y Combinator, co-founder/CTO of E la Carte (raised $50mm+), MIT CS, Kenyan native
Lori is seeking a hands-on Vice President, Operations, reporting to the COO, to play a crucial role in standardizing and driving efficiency across all of Lori’s operational processes, at scale. You will be responsible for developing, implementing, documenting and proactively managing the processes and structures that build and support Lori in delivering seamless operations for our cargo clients and transportation partners.
For more details, visit https://www.lorisystems.com/careers
- Design and implement operational processes across regions and cross-pollinate learnings
- Ensure end-to-end operational excellence with cargo clients, transporters and drivers
- Co-manage the in-country heads of operations across the group
- Support the operational enhancement of Lori’s finance function
- Collaborate with the product team to optimize Lori’s operations through technology
- Set, enforce and report on global operating targets and process adherence
- Work with the COO to ensure alignment between in-country operations and group strategy
- Implement and capture learnings through well-defined and documented incident resolution
- 10+ years’ experience in process engineering, management, operations and/or management consulting
- 5+ years’ experience in high-growth or technology environments
- Experience developing, implementing and achieving KPIs
- Experience with day-to-day operational process development and engineering
- Hyper-focused on execution and detail oriented
- Strong analytical thinker who is data driven
- Excellent problem solving and dispute resolution skills
- Excellent project management skills balancing multiple projects and competing priorities
- MSc in Engineering, MBA or equivalent advanced degree preferred