Chief of Staff to CEO at May Mobility
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Portfolio Ventures – Operations
May Mobility is transforming transportation by developing and deploying autonomous shuttles that get people where they need to go-- safely, easily, and with a lot more fun. Our unique technology for self-driving shuttles has enabled us to commercially operate in major cities across the United States, transporting every-day people and solving their real transportation problems. We are unique in the self-driving space in terms of our passion for solving real problems in the market, building a strong business, and delivering great experiences to our riders.
We are seeking a Chief of Staff to work closely with our CEO, taking on strategic tasks and initiatives, managing executive-level projects (for example, board presentations and investor communications), building close relationships with company leaders, staying in-the-loop on major company activities, and helping the CEO to focus his time on the company’s most critical strategic problems and opportunities. In short, the job is to make the CEO’s office incredibly effective, organized, and strategic by helping the CEO to prioritize and focus on the most important things for the company.
If you’re usually the hardest-working person in the room, and you resonate with our company’s values of 1) valuing personal relationships, 2) sweating the details, 3) considering the bigger picture, and 4) driving with purpose, you might just find that May is the most satisfying and fulfilling place you’ll ever work.
Your Opportunity to Drive Success
You will have an opportunity to help drive our growth and work for a company that is doing something that no one has ever done before: building a thriving business around self-driving technology. Your work will include:
Amplifying and improving the CEO’s communication:
Writing first drafts of proposals, emails, letters etc.
Acting as the project manager for strategic communications (including board decks,
investor updates, etc.), coordinating the material requests from the various executive
teams, and connecting it all together.
Organizing and running meetings, like our KPI update meeting, and being the showrunner
for All Hands meetings.
Keeping the CEO accountable for commitments, while helping keep reports accountable for results:
Leading special projects initiated by the executive team.
Ensuring that the CEO’s meetings are as productive as possible by reviewing agendas in
advance, ensuring that preparation time is scheduled when needed, preparing briefings,
and coordinating follow-up.
Taking notes during meetings that the CEO attends and making sure that action items from
the meeting are executed.
Managing the CEO’s schedule:
Helping to ensure that the CEO always seems approachable and available, even while
taking over some day-to-day activities so the CEO can spend more time on strategic work.
Coordinating with the CEO’s executive assistant on scheduling issues.
Stepping in to represent the CEO at meetings when the CEO is unable to attend.
Keeping your finger on the pulse of the company:
Building relationships throughout the company, at all levels.
Constantly monitoring the health of the organization and making specific
recommendations on how to improve it.
Benefits and Perks
- Health benefits including vision and dental
- Unlimited paid vacation days and generous holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Meaningful stock options
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Flexible schedule around core business hours
- An MBA, or strongly-demonstrated equivalent experience
- 4+ years of related work experience, ideally in consulting and/or operations
- Experience working in a product development organization
- Excellent oral, written, and visual (e.g. keynote) communication skills
- Highly experienced with project coordination and management
- People-oriented; ability to communicate well with different personality types
- Ability to think ahead and catch problems before they arise
- Interest in working for a high-growth and mission-driven startup
- Encouraging, can-do/will-do attitude
- Impeccable organizational, time management and multitasking skills
- Self-motivated and self-sufficient
- Ability to travel up to 20%
- Ability to undergo a driving record check