Head of Africa
Full Time Employee
Alter is building Silicon Valley's best tech VC firm focused on the developing world. Our mission is to transform developing countries through high-growth entrepreneurship. At Alter, we believe that traditional international aid fails to get at the root cause of extreme poverty: a lack of sustainable and scalable value creation. So, we find the top tech businesses in the developing world that have the potential to create economic opportunity at scale in their home country. Alter currently works with ventures in Haiti, Cuba, Afghanistan, Myanmar, and Bangladesh - with expansion this year across Asia and Africa. So far, the Alter portfolio of 12 ventures has created 1,200 jobs, grown their revenues by over $100M, and have provided basic services to over 2 million people living in poverty around the world. Alter was founded three years ago out of Stanford’s Graduate School of Business. Our financiers and board include VC partners from Innovation Endeavors, Broadway Angels, The Collaborative Fund, Omidyar Network, and Endeavor Catalyst along with the co-founder of Ripple, the Managing Partner of McKinsey North America.
HEAD OF AFRICA
As a Regional Director in Africa you will lead Alter’s expansion into new countries across Africa. You will source, conduct due diligence and subsequently take full ownership for Alter’s relationships with partner ventures in the region. You will provide regular feedback and guidance to Alter’s global team to inform investment decisions and develop and refine value-added services to entrepreneurs.
Use your VC skill-set to source Alter's new portfolio
Launch countries (such as Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa, Ghana, Uganda, etc.) and use your VC skillset to source and help Alter select the best tech ventures in Africa. You will leverage Alter’s proprietary country launch processes as well as your own business acumen to procure meetings with founders and conduct business analysis that will enable Alter’s screening panel to assess the top few ventures.
Relationship management & value addition to Alter’s portfolio
Selected countries and companies will be added to your realm of responsibility following the completion of your country launch. You will own the process from needs assessment to value-added service delivery to the entrepreneur. You will count on a global team in the US to help you in delivering these global resources, but you will have the autonomy and authority to develop and test out new services to entrepreneurs within your region.
- Sourcing & Due Diligence: You will assist Alter in launching in new countries within your region. This includes developing a country profile, sourcing and short-listing ventures for Alter’s country selection panel. You will also pitch Alter and its services to these ventures as we build up the short-list.
- Relationship Management & Project Management: You will own the relationships with entrepreneurs on the ground and ensure they have an exceptional experience with Alter. You will understand their key needs and wants, and you will be responsible for ensuring that those needs are met. This includes delivering Alter's services to meet the talent, networks, and capital needs of the portfolio ventures.
- Experience with a top tech venture capital firm
- Demonstrated ability to understand and analyze tech businesses.
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage client relationships and do project management
- Well-networked across Africa's top tech ecosystems
- Exposure to, or experience in, a vibrant tech ecosystem such as Silicon Valley, in order to be a credible ambassador for Alter's brand and value proposition to deliver Silicon Valley resources
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, preferably in multi-cultural and international contexts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication. We are a distributed team across the planet.
- BA/BS or MBA from a leading university
- Most importantly, alignment with Alter’s mission and values: See “The Alter Way”
- Diversity: Alter Global is committed to promoting diversity within its hiring and company practices. We want employees to bring their whole identities with them to work.
- Location: Based out of Lagos and/or Nairobi with frequent travel to major cities across Africa with some travel to San Francisco and Boston.
- Compensation: Varies on experience. Base salary + equity in the fund and portfolio you'll help build.
Email any questions to email@example.com