Los Angeles /
Research and Engineering /
Every year, over 120 billion garments are disposed of, and less than 1% of textiles get recycled at their end of life. The $1T textile industry lacks modern solutions to adapt to the circular economy, which is why we started Ambercycle. Ambercycle is a material science company founded in 2015 to create a fashion industry without ‘waste’.
We're developing and scaling a breakthrough technology to manufacture yarns and fabrics from old clothes, without a sacrifice in quality, rather than from petroleum or new agriculture resources. Our apparel products avoid the use of new raw materials and go into the highest quality applications, exceeding the expectations of end customers with a fraction of the environmental footprint. Using our technology, we are fundamentally changing the fashion industry and building the infinite textile ecosystem. For more information, visit www.ambercycle.com
The Ambercycle Research and Development Team develops and scales breakthrough technology to convert end-of-life textile materials into new yarns and fabrics. We use chemistry and materials science to take our innovations from the laboratory all the way to commercial scale, making the infinite textile ecosystem a physical reality. Our cross-functional team fosters a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
The Research Technologist position will have responsibility to perform hands-on research and development. You will work closely with Ambercycle technical leadership to perform laboratory investigations and improve our products and processes. You will perform experiments and gather data to help debottleneck Ambercycle process systems and assist in scaling up our technology. In this role, you will help develop our technology from the ground up and play an instrumental role in commercialization. A successful candidate will be dynamic, familiar with glassware and reactor systems, analytical assays, and lab procedures, and faces challenges with positivity.
- Develop experimental procedures meeting established standards and industry requirements.
- Perform experiments, analyze products, and troubleshoot processes.
- Write/revise standard operating procedures from method development and method transfer activities.
- Maintain laboratory notebook and write reports on method development and validation activities.
- Analyze test samples utilizing appropriate test methods.
- Assist in troubleshooting out of specification test results.
- Assist in overseeing work conducted by fellow lab technicians.
- Partner with the R&D teams to develop and execute Research plans.
- Take a disciplined approach to understanding the scope of experiments with guidance from senior team members.
- Order supplies and manage inventory.
- Work in a team, be proactive in your work, seek opportunities to build your understanding, and contribute to a collegial environment.
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy and meticulous attention to detail.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor's of Science degree in Chemistry, Materials Science, or a closely related field.
- 0-6 months of hands-on experimental and lab experience.
- Ability to multi-task and complete assignments in a timely and efficient manner
- Experience performing analytical or chemical testing, preferably on pharmaceutical, cosmetic, nutritional, raw materials, water samples, bulk samples or finished products.
- Experience with organic chemistry, glassware, and reactor systems is preferred.
- Experience with analytical tools such as GC-FID/MS, TLC, HP-TLC, Spectrophotometer, Titration, pH, conductivity and other chemical equipment, techniques and programs used in chemical, pharmaceutical, nutritional and cosmetic product assays/tests is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft programs such as Word and Excel, ability to utilize search engines, and create spreadsheets, etc.
- Strong learning agility, with the ability to quickly adapt to new technology.
- Flexible and detail-oriented with the ability to anticipate and prioritize tasks well.
- A positive, open, and intellectually curious team player who embraces the challenges and excitement of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial business.
- A high level of technical aptitude, organizational skill, ability to innovate, and troubleshoot.
- A genuine interest and passion for creating the circular textile economy, ending textile 'waste', and making the world more sustainable.
- Able to frequently lift/push/pull/carry up to 35 pounds, and occasionally lift/push/pull/carry up to 50 pounds.
- Must have fine motor skills to manipulate and operate lab equipment.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Free Healthy Snacks & Beverages
The pay rate for this position is $64,480 per year.
Ambercycle is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Ambercycle is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Position is full-time and based in Los Angeles, California ☀️ 🌊 🌴