Internal Legal Counsel
New York, NY
We are looking for a dynamic Legal Counsel to join our team. As Amenity’s first in-house attorney, you will be responsible for providing legal advice to support all business functions within the company. Named a 2017 FIA Innovator, and a 2018 Gartner Cool Vendor in AI, Amenity is growing rapidly and we need an experienced attorney to help the support business growth and success that we are achieving. This person will work on our Strategy Team, working closely with senior leadership to develop and protect Amenity’s future we continue to disrupt the industry. The ideal candidate is a business-savvy, startup-minded legal specialist, who is passionate about what they do and has a multi-faceted skill set.
What You'll Do
- Manage the legal and regulatory aspects of the business as we grow across all departments, including sales, marketing, merchandising, finance, product, and corporate
- Advice, draft, revise, and evaluate contracts and legal agreements with vendors, investors, partners, clients, etc.
- Facilitate resolution of business/legal issues, formulating recommendations using analysis to creatively develop approaches to optimize business needs while safeguarding the company
- Research and advice senior leadership on compliance and regulatory matters, data security, privacy, and security issues
- Build out and strengthen hiring policies and procedures, audit and report on hiring practices, and oversee compliance
- Develop and establish contract management process
- Protect Amenity branding by working with marketing department to monitor advertising materials and partnerships
- Contribute to Amenity business strategy by investigating and analyzing potential risks, and making recommendations to the Executive team to support the company’s vision
- Collaborate with our outside counsel on all relevant business matters
Who You Are
- An optimistic go-getter who can self-manage, define, and execute new processes and strategies
- Detail oriented, perceptive communicator who is fluent in legalese but can effectively advise non-legal professionals
- A master negotiator and expert in drafting/reviewing business contracts
- A team player with a collaborative spirit
- Someone with a proven track record of providing excellent support and advice to business leaders in a high-growth, tech / data start up. Experience in the technology and/or e-commerce workspace is a must.
- Excellent multi-tasker who can prioritize to meet numerous deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Someone who has strong business judgement and will manage sensitive information with integrity
- Willing to go outside of their comfort zone and outside of scope of prior experience
- Comfortable working in a high-energy, fast-paced startup environment
- J.D. from accredited law school
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience, including experience within a leading national law firm and/or as in-house. Experience with a venture-backed, high growth tech startup is a plus.
- License to practice law in New York and in good standing
- Exceptional communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with business partners
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for business development