Chief of Staff
New York /
Finance & Operations /
Ampush is seeking a Chief of Staff to join the leadership team. Our Chief of Staff will play a critical role in enabling communication, collaboration, and strategy execution across the company. This position is the deputy and thought-partner to our CEO.
In this role, you will work closely with our leadership team to execute our business strategy and champion our development-oriented culture. You will serve as air traffic controller for senior leadership and project manager for the CEO. You should be capable of clearly articulating our mission and vision, building alignment across the company, and holding leaders accountable for business goals. You are a sharp, critical thinker who enjoys solving business problems and has a strong framework for creating and executing strategy. You understand the big picture, and you’re relentless in guiding the executive team to get there. You will develop a deep understanding of the growth marketing and DTC space in a culture where we value curiosity, fun, experimentation, and data-driven decision-making.
As experts in digital marketing, we manage the end-to-end customer experience from acquisition to onsite user flow to retention through digital advertising (social, SEM), design, and our proprietary AMP technology.
Ampush values innovation and ownership, and we have succeeded by staying nimble and taking smart risks. See our values to learn more about the Ampush culture. We are committed to building a culture of diversity, equality and inclusion. We believe that our company should resemble the composition of the communities we work in and the customers we serve.
Ampush has offices in San Francisco and New York and was recently recognized as a Verified Expert Growth Marketing Agency by TechCrunch.
What you'll do
- Project Management - Own the successful execution of small, medium, and long-term projects by skillfully delegating as necessary and moving them all along despite multiple competing priorities
- Drafting internal and external communications - Expert at telling compelling stories and communicating strategy through written memos and decks, as well as ghostwriting the CEO’s internal and external communications
- Defining strategic priorities – Thought partner to CEO on long-term strategy, develops strong understanding of competition, market trends and dynamics
- Oversee strategic initiatives - Support CEO in identifying focus areas and defining success metrics. Revisit regularly and evaluate progress, own monitoring and measuring companywide KPIs
- Prioritization and time management – Skilled at prioritization and time management - the person people come to for advice on how to structure their days and complete their work
- Meeting prep and follow-up – Own the agenda, prep, and facilitation of CEO-owned meetings to maximize effectiveness. Follow up on next steps and action items
- Monitoring information flow – Act as a filter to ensure CEO’s involvement in a project or decision-making is happening at the right moment and level
- Telling it like it is -- Serve as an honest broker for the CEO, sharing direct and candid feedback to ensure the company lives its values and up to its potential
- Proactively analyzing data and framing decisions -- Has bird’s eye view across the company, and can connect the dots in ways others can’t, drawing upon natural intuition and previous experience; solve for challenges and elevate trends and issues to the CEO
- Seamless plugin for the CEO - able to step in across all functions of the organization to facilitate problem-solving and decision making, supplement incomplete information with good judgment and know when to escalate problems/opportunities to the CEO
- Own the planning and execution of quarterly Board meetings - Gather and build agenda and supporting materials in partnership with the CEO
- Thought partner to managers on:
- Communication - creating compelling decks or memos, leading meetings, and making recommendations to get to decisions
- Problem-solving - bringing structure to unstructured problems and thinking outside the box
- Spots problems and fills gaps: identify themes from different meetings / teams to influence and prioritize key projects; fluid with switching between coach, consultant and “executor” roles
- Project-management: organized, disciplined, systemic, detail-oriented and relentless in getting the project over the finish line
- A broad mix of generalist ‘hard’ skills (e.g., modeling / analytics and deck / story building) and soft skills (e.g., reading a room, first principles thinking, calm under pressure)
- Impeccable communication, with the ability to distill and convey information in a compelling manner across a wide range of formats (Slack, email, PPT, talking points, company-wide meetings, etc.)
- Organizational and process management to manage a wide range of incoming requests and responsibilities
- Substantial experience developing and executing strategy, with a toolbox and framework for strategy creation
- Compassionate and team-oriented with a high eQ; you will act as a sounding board, able to anticipate, decipher, absorb and elevate the needs of the broader team
- Comfortable with change and ambiguity with an action-orientation/drive; you thrive in a dynamic environment
- Superior relationship manager, able to build trust quickly with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Business savvy, including an understanding of the marketplace, competitors, and what is required for sustained operating results
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, MBA preferred
- 7+ years experience across startups, quantitative analysis, investment banking, financial services, consulting, or other quant/data-driven related fields
- Excel and Powerpoint expert(e.g. vlookup, pivot tables, formatting) and comfortable with data analysis
- Experience with P&L ownership, organizational development and/or talent management encouraged
This position is not eligible for relocation assistance or visa sponsorship.
Ampush reserves the right of ownership for all unsolicited resumes submitted for this requisition and is not responsible for any fees associated with unsolicited resumes.
Ampush is an Equal Opportunity Employer.