Director, Content and Consumer Marketing- JVN Hair (3787)
Jonathan Van Ness Hair – JVN Marketing /
At Amyris, we value that everyone’s career journey is unique and authentic to who they are. If this role excites you, we encourage you to apply and grow alongside us! You may be just the right candidate for this or other open roles.
At Amyris, we value that everyone’s career journey is unique and authentic to who they are. If this role excites you, we encourage you to apply and grow alongside us! You may be just the right candidate for this or other open roles
We have launched a new clean haircare brand with Jonathan Van Ness, American hairdresser, television personality, podcast host, actor and author. The brand de-genders and revolutionizes the haircare industry with the best performing sustainable products.
The global haircare market represents approximately 25% of the $300 billion beauty market and has experienced growth acceleration during 2020 with more than 50% of consumers choosing clean and sustainable haircare products. Enabled by its proprietary Lab-to-Market synthetic biology platform, Amyris has developed and produces some of the leading clean ingredients to lead the transformation of the haircare industry to a clean and sustainable future.
The JVN haircare brand launched Sept 2021 and offers unparalleled ingredient efficacy, clean formulas and packaging, with genuine inclusivity. The brand focuses on addressing hair health needs, will feature a proprietary Amyris ingredient, hemisqualane, a powerfully hydrating silicone-replacement that is effective across all hair textures.
The Director, Content and Consumer Marketing will be responsible for driving the best social experience audience engagement across existing, new, and emerging platforms globally. This is a critical, innovative, and strategic role for the growing the 360 global JVN business across DTC digital, physical, and wholesale. This position will report to the Senior Director, Brand Strategy & Marketing.
- Partner with Head of Marketing, Founder, and VP/GM on developing overall social and community strategy and roadmap.
- Develop and supervise a social media team to grow followers and engagement for current channels and strategically map out future channels against a product launch pipeline, marketing and sales goals.
- Develop and execute upon a social and influencer marketing strategy and budget that optimizes growth, engagement and conversion while creating meaningful stories that uphold the JVN voice, aesthetic, and mission across the social space.
- Strategize and develop the brand’s social media channels—Instagram, TikTok, YouTube and future channels.
- Develop a complementary social strategy in tandem with the brand’s performance marketing agency, set against sales and customer acquisition goals.
- Embrace and own JVN’s unique brand positioning and voice while staying true to brand equity across all social content.
- Craft social storytelling that leads and disrupts the hair care industry, while aligning with the JVN mission and Amyris goals.
- Approach social storytelling with creativity, curiosity, and taste, and serve the community by taking a wholly inclusive approach to wellness and beauty that will create an earned media value.
- Design and execute best-in-class social customer programs including community and loyalty and including brand and influencer partnerships.
- Foster engagement and brand growth through timely and clever content and interaction, utilizing original creative and UGC while maintaining brand identity.
- Lead the planning, briefing and delivery of beauty content for JVN social media channels with an always on mentality.
- Drive video content ideas for paid and organic channels.
- Create content at the speed of culture to complement pre-planned content.
- Continuously enhance functionality across all social platforms.
- Use analytics tools to draw insights on what content works, and what doesn’t, to continually shape future strategy.
- Report and interpret site analytics and social listening tools to inform future content-making decisions to cultivate leads and sales.
- Compile reports for management showing results (ROI) and report on effectiveness of campaigns in an effort to maximize results.
- Curate, research, discover, and build relationships with up-and-coming UGC and micro-influencer talent (content creators, hair stylists, trichologists, etc.) for paid, organic and earned programming.
- Work closely with the creative team to manage on-going IG grid planning.
- Research new ideas and channels, crafting an evolving strategy for new platforms and digital social trends and foster relationships with key social media channels contacts.
- Reinforce a culture of test and learn; advise or identify new test ideas with the goal of driving increased audience growth, revenue and engagement and an improved customer experience.
- Work cross-functionally to use quantitative data to inform themes, topics, promotions, and messaging content.
- Identify trends, threats and opportunities in content marketing surrounding our industry.
- Lead Social Media customer engagement on necessary social customer escalations and report on social sentiment trends.
- Develop tailored strategy for each retailer partner on social media platforms to meet budgeted sales.
- Responsible for all social media retailer needs (social/influencer activations, launch date tags, key promotions, animations, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in PR, journalism, media or related.
- 6+ years of related content marketing, social media, beauty editorial, advertising experience, influencer management; beauty, design, art, or wellness industry.
- 3+ years experience managing external influencer and marketing agencies.
- 3+ years experience negotiating influencer contracts and deliverables.
- Relationships with key brand contacts at YT, IG, TikTok, Pinterest, Snapchat, Spotify, LinkedIn etc.
- Experience reporting on organic and paid social content.
- In-depth knowledge of content marketing and dominant and emerging social media platforms and their respective communities.
- Passion for skincare / wellness beauty industry; understanding of clean beauty, biotech, and conservation efforts.
- Ability to use deep understanding of SEO and data analytics to optimize brand narrative and rapid growth for a science backed clean brand.
- Embraces start-up dynamics and thrives wearing many hats while meeting objectives and working collaboratively.
- Ability to identify the big ideas from the small ones and drive for results on the big ideas.
- Must demonstrate strong strategic, creative, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Team player who builds strong, effective partnerships.
- Team builder who develops and coaches team members to reach their own professional goals.
- Written and verbal skills; strong visual design sense, excellent typography & layout skills, keen eye for detail and brand identity systems.
- Self-disciplined and motivated in a fast-paced environment that requires creativity and strong attention to detail.
- Customer service experience preferred, well-versed in all social media platform management.
- Ability and motivation to grow a brand: experience owning in-the-weeds content creation while building and supervising a team in a founder-led or startup environment.
Amyris is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices.
The pay range for this role is $120,000 to $231,000. Salary offers are made based on internal equity and market analysis, and will vary based on the candidate’s skills, depth of experience and specific work location. This role is also eligible for incentive pay, equity in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) and stock options.
We are also committed to providing a diverse array of inclusive benefits and perks to support employees and their families’ wellbeing including access to robust healthcare, mental wellness benefits, family leave, discounted fitness memberships, education reimbursement, generous product discounts, flexible paid time off, 17 paid holidays, 10 paid sick days, and additional paid time off including 3 volunteer days, and bereavement. Sabbaticals are available after 5 years of continuous employment with Amyris.
We hold deep regard in the power of representation and cultivation of a diverse work environment. Join us at Amyris, where you can find a sense of belonging and know that your voice is centered.
At Amyris, we believe that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) is essential to our core values. We embrace and encourage an equity-minded work culture, knowing that it is the driving force of innovation that positively impacts our employees, consumers, and communities. And for Amyris, a sense of belonging is what drives our mission forward and is the foundation of everything we do, ensuring a healthier, more sustainable future for us all. Make Good, No Compromise.
Amyris (Nasdaq: AMRS) is a leading synthetic biotechnology company, transitioning the Clean Health & Beauty and Flavors & Fragrances markets to sustainable ingredients through fermentation and the company's proprietary Lab-to-Market™ technology platform. This Amyris platform leverages state-of-the-art machine learning, robotics and artificial intelligence, enabling the company to rapidly bring new innovation to market at commercial scale. Amyris ingredients are included in over 20,000 products from the world's top brands, reaching more than 300 million consumers. Amyris also owns and operates a family of consumer brands that is constantly evolving to meet the growing demand for sustainable, effective and accessible products. For more information, please visit http://www.amyris.com.
Amyris, the Amyris logo, No Compromise, Biossance, JVN, Pipette, Purecane, Rose Inc. and Lab-to-Market, Terasana are trademarks or registered trademarks of Amyris, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at email@example.com
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.