Senior Process Engineer (3540)
US-Emeryville, CA /
Manufacturing and Operations – Downstream Technology /
At Amyris, we value that everyone’s career journey is unique and authentic to who they are. If this role excites you, we encourage you to apply and grow alongside us! You may be just the right candidate for this or other open roles.
Downstream Process Development at Amyris is rapidly increasing in scope as we continue to diversify our portfolio of industrial bioproducts. We are looking for a dynamic and creative engineer who will help us implement the equipment, automation, and software tools necessary to scale our DSP trains, support transfer to manufacturing, monitor and respond to process performance at scale, and drive continuous process improvement. In addition to being a subject matter expert in downstream separations processes, the successful candidate will be expected to mentor early career process engineers who are focusing on validating new separations trains at pilot scale.
The Senior Process Engineer will join our Process Development and Engineering team and be part of our Downstream Process Development subgroup. The Process Development group has responsibility for early- and late-stage process development, techno economic analysis, laboratory and pilot plant testing, and technology transfer to Amyris-owned sites and contract manufacturing facilities across the world.
Downstream Process Development in particular focuses on the isolation and purification of target molecules from fermentation broth. We work closely with the Pilot Plant, Quality, EHS, Manufacturing and Analytical Chemistry teams at Amyris, to develop, scale and commercialize new downstream processes. Our fermentation-derived bioproducts include oils, water-soluble and insoluble molecules that span the Amyris portfolio in Clean Beauty, Health and Wellness and Flavors & Fragrances. We currently have 15 molecules in development with 10 of these at pilot scale development, and 8 of these reaching manufacturing scale this year. We expect to sustain this rate of growth as we continue to introduce 2-4 new molecules to market each year for the foreseeable future. As such, we seek an individual whose aspirations are consistent with those of Amyris: high-growth and fast-moving. Ensuring that our projects are executed safely by our employees and our contractors will always be a top priority for the person in this position.
- Display personal responsibility for individual as well as co-worker safety and maintaining safety as the highest priority by supporting and reinforcing procedures and policies. Ensure that team’s laboratory and pilot scale DSP operations are compliant with Amyris EHS policies.
- Mentor 1-2 engineers to become more effective, innovative, and collaborative and to have increasing impact as a team working on 10+ molecules concurrently.
- Guide laboratory and pilot scale experimentation: help the team design efficient experiments, analyze and interpret data, and build better scale-down models of the manufacturing operations. When required, step in for Scientists and work at the bench or in the PP in a hands-on capacity.
- Efficiently address resourcing conflicts on staffing or equipment as they arise and respond appropriately to evolving project priorities.
- Implement continuous improvement system to ensure that the Amyris Pilot plant and DSPD teams are equipped and staffed to handle the development challenges of today AND continuing to increase efficiency and capability of these teams to meet Amyris goals of the future This includes evaluation and adoption of new unit operations, as well as new instrumentation, automation and software to improve efficiencies on existing separations units.
- Continuously build out Amyris’ network of consultants and CROs, to ensure reliable access to technical guidance and additional experimental capacity,
- Contribute to the direction and oversight of technology transfer teams.
- Advise on the generation of effective SOPs, Development Reports, Tech Transfer and Campaign reports.
- Provide critical assessment of process strategy and communicate success probabilities to stakeholders, including Amyris manufacturing teams, customer technical teams, and Amyris executive team.
- Travel up to 15%, including manufacturing sites in international locations.
- Degree in Chemical Engineering or related discipline with 10 years of relevant industry experience.
- Transfer of technology: Established experience writing Development Reports, SOP’s and Technology Transfer Reports and following through the transfer to plant start-up.
- Previous experience with Process Hazard Analysis at >100L scale.
- Hands-on experience with reactor systems and unit operations (10-1000 MT scale, including centrifugation, tangential flow filtration, evaporation/distillation, recrystallization, chromatography, and/or adsorption).
- Experience leading technology transfers to commercial scale.
- Team-oriented, with problem solving skills and effective communication skills. Ability to coordinate closely with remote PD and manufacturing teams.
- Expertise in evaluating production costs for potential future target and molecules in development, including OpEx and CapEx depreciation is a plus.
- Experience with fermentation products is a plus.
- Experience with protein purification is a plus.
Amyris is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices.
The pay range for this role is $140500 to $207000. Salary offers are made based on internal equity and market analysis, and will vary based on the candidate’s skills, depth of experience and specific work location. This role is also eligible for incentive pay and equity in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
Amyris is committed to providing a diverse array of inclusive benefits and perks to support employees and their families’ wellbeing including access to robust healthcare, mental wellness benefits, family leave, discounted fitness memberships, education reimbursement, generous product discounts, flexible paid time off, 17 paid holidays, 10 paid sick days, and additional paid time off including 3 volunteer days, and bereavement. Sabbaticals are available after 5 years of continuous employment with Amyris.
We hold deep regard in the power of representation and cultivation of a diverse work environment. Join us at Amyris, where you can find a sense of belonging and know that your voice is centered.
At Amyris, we believe that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) is essential to our core values. We embrace and encourage an equity-minded work culture, knowing that it is the driving force of innovation that positively impacts our employees, consumers, and communities. And for Amyris, a sense of belonging is what drives our mission forward and is the foundation of everything we do, ensuring a healthier, more sustainable future for us all. Make Good, No Compromise.
Amyris (Nasdaq: AMRS) is a leading synthetic biotechnology company, transitioning the Clean Health & Beauty and Flavors & Fragrances markets to sustainable ingredients through fermentation and the company's proprietary Lab-to-Market™ technology platform. This Amyris platform leverages state-of-the-art machine learning, robotics and artificial intelligence, enabling the company to rapidly bring new innovation to market at commercial scale. Amyris ingredients are included in over 20,000 products from the world's top brands, reaching more than 300 million consumers. Amyris also owns and operates a family of consumer brands that is constantly evolving to meet the growing demand for sustainable, effective and accessible products. For more information, please visit http://www.amyris.com.
Amyris, the Amyris logo, No Compromise, Biossance, JVN, Pipette, Purecane, Rose Inc. and Lab-to-Market, Terasana are trademarks or registered trademarks of Amyris, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at firstname.lastname@example.org
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.