Scientist, Protein Production Strain Engineering (3514)
US-Emeryville, CA /
Research and Development – Biology /
At Amyris, we value that everyone’s career journey is unique and authentic to who they are. If this role excites you, we encourage you to apply and grow alongside us! You may be just the right candidate for this or other open roles.
At Amyris, we develop custom microbes and associated processes that transform renewable, plant-based sugars into pure high-value molecules through industrial-scale fermentation. Our technology provides a sustainable alternative to traditional chemical manufacturing and delivers products that directly benefit millions of lives. Our team has developed tailored microbes for the successful scale-up and manufacture of 13 fermentation products in the past 10 years. This track record of product delivery is one of the many advantages that distinguish Amyris from other companies in the sector. We are a team of pragmatic idealists who are using breakthrough science to deliver sustainable solutions for a growing world.
Amyris seeks a Scientist to join our Biology department to help develop new approaches and enhance our Protein Production platform. This Scientist will provide technical leadership on genetic methods to increase protein expression and secretion in fungal and bacterial host strains and directly engineer strains to increase the production of high-value protein products. The Scientist will work with a cross-disciplinary team and utilize the world’s most advanced high-throughput automated strain engineering and testing platform to develop and optimize strains that are tailored to deliver high performance at the manufacturing scale. Research at Amyris is driven by synergistic collaboration between life sciences and engineering disciplines to accelerate projects from concept to market. We seek candidates with a demonstrated history of success in collaborative, team-oriented environments. We seek new teammates who are passionate about the Amyris mission.
- Design, build, and test microbial strains that produce a variety of high-value target proteins in industrial fermentations.
- Improve production of commercial proteins by optimizing protein expression, folding, post-translational modification, secretion, and production host physiology.
- Provide expertise in methods to engineer and improve performance of microorganisms that are commonly used for protein production, including Pichia pastoris (Komagataella phaffii) and other relevant organisms.
- Collaborate with researchers in automated strain engineering, high-throughput screening, analytical chemistry, bioinformatics, data science, fermentation, and process development groups to achieve project milestones.
- Analyze diverse data streams via standard statistical analyses, modeling, and collaboration with data science team to deepen human intelligence and machine learning from large datasets.
- Mentor and train more junior researchers.
- Maintain safe practices and work environment.
- Ph.D. (or equivalent experience) in (bio)chemical engineering, biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, industrial biotechnology, or a related field. Relevant industry experience is a plus.
- Ability to genetically engineer microorganisms that are commonly used to produce proteins at scale, especially yeast and bacterial hosts.
- Direct experience with bacterial and/or fungal production hosts such as Pichia pastoris (Komagataella phaffii) or other relevant organisms.
- Expertise in methods to alter cellular physiology to enhance protein production.
- Strong skills in molecular biology techniques such as PCR, DNA assembly, genome engineering, DNA sequence analysis, and nuclease-triggered DNA recombination.
- Prior experience with Enzyme Engineering and/or Synthetic Biology is a plus.
- Routinely display and communicate statistical rigor in the analysis and visualization of experimental data.
- Strong record of collaboration and cooperation in cross-disciplinary teams.
Amyris is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices.
The annual pay range for this role is $121,500-176,700. Salary offers are made based on internal equity and market analysis, and will vary based on the candidate’s skills, depth of experience and specific work location.
Amyris is committed to providing a diverse array of inclusive benefits and perks to support employees and their families’ wellbeing including access to robust healthcare, mental wellness benefits, family leave, discounted fitness memberships, education reimbursement, generous product discounts, flexible paid time off, 17 paid holidays, 10 paid sick days, and additional paid time off including 3 volunteer days, and bereavement. Sabbaticals are available after 5 years of continuous employment with Amyris.
We hold deep regard in the power of representation and cultivation of a diverse work environment. Join us at Amyris, where you can find a sense of belonging and know that your voice is centered.
At Amyris, we believe that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) is essential to our core values. We embrace and encourage an equity-minded work culture, knowing that it is the driving force of innovation that positively impacts our employees, consumers, and communities. And for Amyris, a sense of belonging is what drives our mission forward and is the foundation of everything we do, ensuring a healthier, more sustainable future for us all. Make Good, No Compromise.
Amyris (Nasdaq: AMRS) is a leading synthetic biotechnology company, transitioning the Clean Health & Beauty and Flavors & Fragrances markets to sustainable ingredients through fermentation and the company's proprietary Lab-to-Market™ technology platform. This Amyris platform leverages state-of-the-art machine learning, robotics and artificial intelligence, enabling the company to rapidly bring new innovation to market at commercial scale. Amyris ingredients are included in over 20,000 products from the world's top brands, reaching more than 300 million consumers. Amyris also owns and operates a family of consumer brands that is constantly evolving to meet the growing demand for sustainable, effective and accessible products. For more information, please visit http://www.amyris.com.
Amyris, the Amyris logo, No Compromise, Biossance, JVN, Pipette, Purecane, Rose Inc. and Lab-to-Market, Terasana are trademarks or registered trademarks of Amyris, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at email@example.com
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.