Automation Engineer 1
Research and Development – Automation
We are searching for a talented, curious, and self-motivated engineer to join our automation team in building the most advanced production-scale synthetic biology platform on the planet. R&D at Amyris is a highly multidisciplinary effort, where we need brilliant contributions from every area of the life sciences and engineering disciplines in order to take projects from concept to market.
From hacking directly on DNA in the lab to full scale factory production, every aspect of our work is facilitated and accelerated by software and hardware automation. Our tools integrate the activities of scientists, engineers, and industrial robots to enable the rapid optimization of genetic designs and laboratory processes.
Among the tools we have developed are a CAD/CAM system for genetic engineering: a compiler toolchain whose target architecture is life itself. This stack physically integrates high level genetic modules into microbial hosts. We also derive novel strains through random mutagenesis and directed evolution. Using our custom control platform, we then subject these experimental organisms to high throughput performance screening in our state-of-the-art robot labs.
Do you want to work with brilliant scientists and engineers to help create a better future for ourselves, our children, and everyone on the planet? Have you ever wished you could have gotten in on the ground floor at the dawn of the integrated circuit revolution? This is your chance to do foundational work in biotechnology. We are past proof of principle; we have begun the rapid expansion of a technology that will characterize this century. We're doing something far more interesting and exciting than almost anyone else out there, and we offer competitive compensation, excellent benefits, unlimited high-quality conversation, free lunches, and beer! Please join us!
- Scripting automated workflows on large integrated robotic systems.
- Scripting automated workflows on robotic liquid handlers.
- Execute on design and test configurations that improve throughput, quality and performance of biological samples
- Collaborate on automation improvements that drive production reliability and walk-away capability
- Ensure robustness and repeatability of automation protocols and workflows
- Devise cross-checking methodologies and verify performance against product requirements
- Devise innovative approaches for measuring key parameters that are currently unmeasured or difficult to measure
- Understand vendor product capabilities, failure modes, and preventive indicators
- Document your work and report clearly to stakeholders
- DOE and execution of robotic system qualifications.
- Implementing real time quality control measures into automated systems to track liquid handling performance and detect/predict failure events.
- Acting as an advocate and ambassador for the Automation team.
- Minimum BS in a relevant engineering discipline, or equivalent level of experience
- Strong mechanical aptitude, results oriented, customer focus, teamwork, and problem solving skills
- Passionate about learning new technologies and creating innovative solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in protocol execution, test methodology and setup in a high throughput biology environment
- Experience in solving manufacturing problems related to automation and mechatronic systems.
- Understanding of statistical process control, FMEA, GR&R and other 6-sigma tools
- Proficient with SolidWorks, Green Button Go (GBG), Python, C#, SQL programming, image processing, JMP statistical software
- Experience with engineering change control processes and/or software version control (Git, VSS, etc.)
- Experience with liquid handling equipment, e.g. Tecan, Agilent, Labcyte, Hamilton, etc.
- Energetic and self-motivated. Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with relevant software languages such as python, C++, C#, F#,SQL etc.
- Understanding of relational databases including design of data models and facility with SQL.
- Experience with the integration of laboratory equipment to laboratory information systems (LIMS)
- Energetic and self-motivated. Able to work independently on projects and as part of a team
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website at www.amyris.com.