Senior Manager, Health and Safety
Manufacturing and Operations – EH&S /
Regular: Full-Time /
At Amyris, we value that everyone’s career journey is unique and authentic to who they are. If this role excites you, we encourage you to apply and grow alongside us! You may be just the right candidate for this or other open roles.
Amyris is looking for a talented Health and Safety Senior Manager, with a strong background in Science/Biotech/Engineering to work within our Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) team to support, coordinate and help develop our health and safety policies and programs in compliance with local, state, and federal health, safety regulations.
Amyris is a leading Synthetic Biology company with many exciting on-going as well as new projects. Our EHS team works closely with our talented and driven Research and Process Development Scientists to assess process and project risks and identify safe solutions. Amyris is a fast-paced environment with never ending new challenges! We are interested in someone who will help provide additional safety oversight for our Emeryville Pilot Plant operations to help ensure a safe scale-up our new production processes.
- Work within the EHS team to promote and implement elements of the Amyris core safety management programs such as Injury, Illness Prevention, COVID Prevention, Chemical Hygiene, Biosafety, and other related safety programs in compliance with Cal-OSHA.
- Take responsibility to work with scientific staff to develop risk assessment strategies and complete appropriate risk assessments for jobs, procedures, and equipment with special focus on pilot scale fermentations and downstream processing equipment and procedures.
- Ensure Emeryville facility quarterly safety inspections are scheduled, and the resolution of corrective actions completed in a timely fashion.
- Work with the EHS team to provide applicable EHS training, training program development, and record keeping.
- Act as focal point for behavior-based training platform in the process development and pilot plant teams.
- Provide oversight in the investigation, identification and resolution of safety incidents and the regular communication of Emeryville safety statistics.
- Provide monitoring and sampling support to identify hazards along with maintenance of the sampling equipment.
- Coordination of medical testing for hearing conservation, hazardous waste and other job specific tests.
- Work with staff to identify and correct office based as well as industrial ergonomic hazards to ensure early detection of potentially serious and costly injuries.
- Assist with lab and pilot facility tenant improvement projects, identification and acquisition of appropriate permitting and safety systems or supplies.
- Prepare and manage product Safety Data Sheets as needed.
- Maintenance of appropriate and required safety-related records and documentation.
- Upkeep, data submission and tracking of facility permit files, as needed.
- Provide support as needed for environmental and emergency functions.
- BA or BS in chemistry, biology, engineering, or related field and preferably including EHS Certification (such as ASP, CSP, CIH, CCPSC or other).
- 10+ years of experience in EHS, preferably with a background in Industrial or Process Safety.
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Experience in JIRA systems a plus.
- Experience writing technical reports and and giving oral presentations.
Amyris is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices.
The annual pay range for this role is $162,500 to $242,500. Salary offers are made based on internal equity and market analysis, and will vary based on the candidate’s skills, depth of experience and specific work location. This role is also eligible for incentive pay.
Amyris is committed to providing a diverse array of inclusive benefits and perks to support employees and their families’ wellbeing including access to robust healthcare, mental wellness benefits, family leave, discounted fitness memberships, flexible paid time off, 17 paid holidays, 10 paid sick days, and additional paid time off including 3 volunteer days, and bereavement.
We hold deep regard in the power of representation and cultivation of a diverse work environment. Join us at Amyris, where you can find a sense of belonging and know that your voice is centered.
At Amyris, we believe that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) is essential to our core values. We embrace and encourage an equity-minded work culture, knowing that it is the driving force of innovation that positively impacts our employees, consumers, and communities. For Amyris, a sense of belonging is what drives our mission forward and is the foundation of everything we do, ensuring a healthier, more sustainable future for us all. Make Good, No Compromise.
Amyris (Nasdaq: AMRS) is a leading synthetic biotechnology company, transitioning the Clean Health & Beauty and Flavors & Fragrances markets to sustainable ingredients through fermentation and the company's proprietary Lab-to-Market™ technology platform. This Amyris platform leverages state-of-the-art machine learning, robotics and artificial intelligence, enabling the company to rapidly bring new innovation to market at commercial scale. Amyris ingredients are included in over 20,000 products from the world's top brands, reaching more than 300 million consumers. For more information, please visit http://www.amyris.com.
Amyris, the Amyris logo, No Compromise, Biossance, JVN, Pipette, Purecane, Rose Inc. and Lab-to-Market, Terasana are trademarks or registered trademarks of Amyris, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at email@example.com
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.