Scientist 1, Enzymology
Research and Development – Biology
Amyris is seeking a Scientist with a background in chemical biology, chemistry, or biochemistry to join our Enzymology team. The Scientist will work on the identification and engineering of bottleneck enzymes in microbial metabolic pathways. She or he will provide expertise in enzymology and insight into enzyme mechanisms to support our efforts in development of microbes for sustainable production of renewable chemicals. Working as an integral part of a multi-disciplinary team of scientists and utilizing the world’s most advanced high-throughput automated strain engineering platform, the successful candidate will design, build, and test microbial strains and enzymes to improve microbial production of small molecules.
- Provide technical expertise in enzymology and chemical reaction mechanisms, as a member of a team developing microbial strains for production of a wide variety of commercially-relevant natural products
- Identify and improve bottleneck enzymes in biosynthetic pathways, utilizing strain and protein engineering techniques
- Routinely design and execute complex experiments in enzymology, metabolic engineering, and protein engineering, working closely with the Amyris Automated Strain Engineering, High Throughput Screening, and Analytics teams
- Collaborate with a cross-disciplinary team of scientists in order to design and incorporate biosynthetic pathways into microbial strains and optimize performance at manufacturing scale
- Members of the Enzymology group should be creative, organized, energetic, collaborative, and self-motivated.
Skills and Requirements
- Strong candidates will have skills or traits in some or all of the following areas:
- Ph.D. in chemical biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or a related discipline; postdoctoral or industry experience is a plus but not necessary
- Expertise in various aspects of enzymology, such as enzyme function, mechanism (chemical and/or kinetic), and structure
- Experience with elucidation of natural products biosynthetic pathways and prediction of chemical mechanisms for novel reactions
- Hands-on experience with basic molecular biology techniques including PCR, DNA sequence analysis, and microbial transformation and culture
- Proficiency with in vitro and/or in vivo enzyme assay development, enzyme kinetics, and characterization of enzyme mechanism
- Experience with analytical methods commonly used in enzyme assays and natural products discovery (e.g. HPLC, GC, MS, NMR, UV)
- Skills in organic chemistry and natural products extractions are desirable
- Familiarity with protein engineering, directed evolution, bioinformatics/gene discovery, and/or structural biology are a plus
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at email@example.com
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.