Vice President of Global Marketing & Strategy, JVN (3651)
Jonathan Van Ness Hair – JVN Marketing /
At Amyris, we value that everyone’s career journey is unique and authentic to who they are. If this role excites you, we encourage you to apply and grow alongside us! You may be just the right candidate for this or other open roles.
We have launched a new clean haircare brand with Jonathan Van Ness, American hairdresser, television personality, podcast host, actor and author. The brand de-genders and revolutionizes the haircare industry with the best performing sustainable products.
The global haircare market represents approximately 25% of the $300 billion beauty market and has experienced growth acceleration during 2020 with more than 50% of consumers choosing clean and sustainable haircare products. Enabled by its proprietary Lab-to-Market synthetic biology platform, Amyris has developed and produces some of the leading clean ingredients to lead the transformation of the haircare industry to a clean and sustainable future.
The JVN haircare brand launched Sept 2021 and offers unparalleled ingredient efficacy, clean formulas and packaging, with genuine inclusivity. The brand focuses on addressing hair health needs, will feature a proprietary Amyris ingredient, Hemisqualane, a powerfully hydrating silicone-replacement that is effective across all hair textures.
The Vice President of Global Marketing & Strategy is a critical strategic role that will lead global brand strategy, marketing, and 360 integrated campaigns for JVN. This role will be directly responsible for increasing reach, awareness, and sales with cutting edge brand strategy, product pipeline development, innovative 360 creative campaigns, digital innovation, and sales planning. This leader is responsible for ensuring JVN always has a customer-centric, customer-first mindset and coordinate across the JVN channels and with other cross-functional leaders within the Amyris organization to ensure clear understanding of the brand strategy. The ideal candidate is a team player with a “hands on” approach to the management of the business and has working experience and a proven track record in global brand strategy, marketing, digital, and creative. This position requires a solution-based leader who can react quickly with due consideration to sales opportunities and work to solve customer needs. This role reports directly to the VP/GM of JVN.
- Global Brand Strategy:
- Own and define the overall brand DNA strategic global marketing plan that positions JVN as the leading innovative haircare brand in Sephora.
- Lead with a customer-first mindset. Provide consumer insights to influence brand messaging, communication, creative, and product pipeline development.
- Global Sales Budget & OPEX:
- Oversee annual sales planning and OPEX process across all marketing functions (i.e. influencers, PR, social, sampling, content, events, etc.) while considering retail, ecommerce, professional channel needs.
- Responsible for meeting quarterly targets based on the annual plan.
- Manage P&L/budgets for Marketing, Creative and Product Development consistent with business strategy and goals.
- Integrated 360 Marketing.
- Oversee development and implementation of integrated 360 marketing plans across all global channels that drives the greatest reach and brand awareness.
- Coordinate with Cross-Functional Departments to optimize channel performance:
- Collaborate with Ecommerce to identify strategies and tactics to improve new customer acquisition while also driving stronger retention and loyalty.
- Collaborate with Global Retail Sales to develop retail marketing strategies that increase awareness of the brand, foot traffic into stores, and traffic/conversion on retail websites.
- Collaborate with Professional Sales to develop marketing and education strategies that support new salon launches and drive repeat orders and loyalty.
- Product Pipeline Strategy:
- Deliver go-to-market innovation including comprehensive 360 plans with new product concepts and forecasting that justify investments.
- Strategically analyze the brand's strengths and opportunities vs. category trends and key competitors to identify growth areas for our core franchises.
- Develop and publish a 24+ month rolling product development calendar and manage the execution of plans for new product introduction.
- Initiate all steps involved with new product launches including conceptualizing ideas, picking prototypes, evaluating submissions, giving direction to Product Development, Packaging and Creative, and monitoring creative briefs and design.
- Own global pricing strategy based upon competitive analysis, COGS and margin analysis to ensure profit in addition to revenue.
- Partner with the Creative Director on 360 campaign strategies and content execution to ensure consistency of brand representation all physical and digital creative assets.
- Ensure all global brand, product, and model shoots align with brand DNA and guidelines.
- Team Management and Leadership:
- Build, lead, and retain a highly effective team of planning individual contributors and leaders.
- Identify and define team goals and metrics and drive towards brand success.
- Establish foundation for the future by being a champion for best-in-class coaching/training.
- Promote and cultivate an open, collaborative, and results-oriented environment with a strong commitment to customer service.
- 15+ years of related global business experience, retail, beauty, or CPG industry required. Haircare ideal.
- Must demonstrate problem solving, creative, interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills along with attention to detail.
- Demonstrate agility, flexibility, and can deal with ambiguity across departments and geographies.
- Experience in supporting sales and broker teams as well as building collaborative relationships within the teams.
- Experience building and directly managing a team comprise of both managers and individual contributors.
- Must demonstrate and successfully work cross functionally within sales, marketing, and e-commerce.
- Some travel required.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field, MBA preferred.
- Customer-centric, customer-first mindset in everything they do.
- Passion for retail, beauty, ecomm, haircare, and JVN.
- Self-starter with project management skills and ability to provide solutions to challenges.
- Thrives on an environment that is fast-paced, rapidly changing, and customer centric focused.
- Able to handle multiple priorities while meeting objectives.
- Team player who builds strong, effective partnerships and operates with a can-do-mindset.
Amyris is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices.
The annual pay range for this role is $153,500 to $243,000. Salary offers are made based on internal equity and market analysis, and will vary based on the candidate’s skills, depth of experience and specific work location. This role is also eligible for incentive pay, equity in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) and stock options.
Amyris is committed to providing a diverse array of inclusive benefits and perks to support employees and their families’ wellbeing including access to robust healthcare, mental wellness benefits, family leave, discounted fitness memberships, education reimbursement, generous product discounts, flexible paid time off, 17 paid holidays, 10 paid sick days, and additional paid time off including 3 volunteer days, and bereavement. Sabbaticals are available after 5 years of continuous employment with Amyris.
We hold deep regard in the power of representation and cultivation of a diverse work environment. Join us at Amyris, where you can find a sense of belonging and know that your voice is centered.
At Amyris, we believe that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) is essential to our core values. We embrace and encourage an equity-minded work culture, knowing that it is the driving force of innovation that positively impacts our employees, consumers, and communities. And for Amyris, a sense of belonging is what drives our mission forward and is the foundation of everything we do, ensuring a healthier, more sustainable future for us all. Make Good, No Compromise.
Amyris (Nasdaq: AMRS) is a leading synthetic biotechnology company, transitioning the Clean Health & Beauty and Flavors & Fragrances markets to sustainable ingredients through fermentation and the company's proprietary Lab-to-Market™ technology platform. This Amyris platform leverages state-of-the-art machine learning, robotics and artificial intelligence, enabling the company to rapidly bring new innovation to market at commercial scale. Amyris ingredients are included in over 20,000 products from the world's top brands, reaching more than 300 million consumers. Amyris also owns and operates a family of consumer brands that is constantly evolving to meet the growing demand for sustainable, effective and accessible products. For more information, please visit http://www.amyris.com.
Amyris, the Amyris logo, No Compromise, Biossance, JVN, Pipette, Purecane, Rose Inc. and Lab-to-Market, Terasana are trademarks or registered trademarks of Amyris, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at email@example.com
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.