Research and Development – Bioinformatics and Software Engineering
Do you want to work with brilliant scientists and engineers to help create a better future for ourselves, our children, and everyone on the planet? Have you ever wished you could have gotten in on the ground floor at the dawn of the integrated circuit revolution? This is your chance to do foundational work in biotechnology. We are past proof of principle; we have begun the rapid expansion of a technology that will characterize this century. We're doing something far more interesting and exciting than almost anyone else out there, and we offer competitive compensation, excellent benefits, unlimited high-quality conversation, free lunches, and beer! Please join us.
We are searching for a talented, curious, and self-motivated engineer to join our software engineering team in building the most advanced production-scale synthetic biology platform on the planet. R&D at Amyris is a highly multidisciplinary effort, where we need brilliant contributions from every area of the life sciences and engineering disciplines in order to take projects from concept to market.
From hacking directly on DNA in the lab to full scale factory production, every aspect of our work is facilitated and accelerated by software and hardware automation. Our tools integrate the activities of scientists, engineers, and industrial robots to enable the rapid optimization of genetic designs and laboratory processes.
Among the tools we have developed are a CAD/CAM system for genetic engineering: a compiler toolchain whose target architecture is life itself. This stack physically integrates high level genetic modules into microbial hosts. We also derive novel strains through random mutagenesis and directed evolution. Using our custom control platform, we then subject these experimental organisms to high throughput performance screening in our state-of-the-art robot labs.
- Design, develop and maintain web based application written in Python and React
- Collaborate with scientists to transform an understanding of their workflow into designs and implementations of appropriate data models and user interfaces.
- Effectively communicate with research scientists.
- Apply best practices of software development throughout your work, while staying abreast of advances in the practice.
- 5+ years of professional programming experience.
- Strong coding skills in either Python or a similar language. Ideally deep experience in multiple languages. In addition to Python, Amyris has codebases in F#, R and PHP (phasing out, but still have some important legacy code).
- Experience developing software in a Unix environment. Dev tools are chosen at the developer’s discretion, but most of the software development and all production deployment is on Linux (Ubuntu).
- Fluent Linux command-line skills.
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website at www.amyris.com.