R&D Data Quality Specialist (3522)
US-Emeryville, CA /
Research and Development – Screening and Analytical Science /
At Amyris, we value that everyone’s career journey is unique and authentic to who they are. If this role excites you, we encourage you to apply and grow alongside us! You may be just the right candidate for this or other open roles.
Are you passionate and curious about synthetic biology? Are you looking for an opportunity to explore and improve a highly automated research pipeline? Help scale fermentation-derived small molecule products from the bench to manufacturing by becoming an essential part of our research team in Emeryville.
The SCAN Fitness team is looking for a process-minded individual to drive ‘fit-for-purpose’ data quality efforts across the Amyris research and development pipeline. The successful candidate will work cross-functionally with scientists, software engineers, data scientists, and project stakeholders to identify, evaluate, improve, and control key workflows and help us get more out of the experiments we run.
This role requires an individual who is curious and can rapidly learn and understand new technologies and processes holistically – from the procedures in the laboratory to how the data is captured and stored, to the data analysis and consequent decisions that are made. A successful candidate will be highly independent and capable of partnering with others across the R&D and Process Development teams to help Amyris deliver ‘No Compromise’ products derived from sugarcane.
- Support the Screening and Analytics Capabilities (High Throughput Screening, Fermentation, Bio-analytics, Chromatography, Process Analytical Chemistry) in implementation of operational and fit-for-purpose quality control.
- Identify and address gaps in measurement or workflow quality that may significantly impact decision-making.
- Perform relevant analyses to measure and evaluate the performance of a complex biological and/or analytical process.
- Collaborate with bioinformatics and software engineering to develop infrastructure that streamlines and automates quality control across the pipeline.
- Explore, develop, and validate novel approaches to evaluating data quality. Drive implementation and adoption by providing training and documentation in collaboration with other research teams.
- Influence laterally and upwards to ensure quality is a priority in our fast-paced
- Provide consult to scientists and project leaders to help them understand the capability of our screening platform and design better experiments.
- Ensure and improve real-time reporting of measurements / assays / workflows quality status.
- Document relevant work and analyses.
- MS Degree in Science/Engineering or related field with 5+ years' experience in relevant industrial role.
- Familiarity with culture platforms (plate and bioreactor scale) and analytical techniques (sample preparation, GC-FID, HPLC/UPLC, MS, IC), lab automation, and LIMS/ELNs.
- Deep understanding of the importance of precision and accuracy in analytical measurements.
- Proficient with SQL and common software for data analysis and visualization primarily JMP and Spotfire.
- Statistics: Measurement system analysis (variance analysis), design of experiments, power analysis, linear regression and modelling, hypothesis testing, statistical process control.
- Ability to think holistically about a process – from request to data to decision.
- Technical writing.
- Ability to both effectively communicate and educate a broad audience on technical topics.
- Drive change in the organization through influence, often across teams and departments.
- Strong communication skills to collaborate across diverse technical functions (software engineering, biology, analytical chemistry, etc.).
- Familiarity with R or Python a Plus.
- Background and/or experience with quality principles (eg. Six Sigma) a plus.
Amyris is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices.
The annual pay range for this role is $105,500-$150,500. Salary offers are made based on internal equity and market analysis, and will vary based on the candidate’s skills, depth of experience and specific work location.
Amyris is committed to providing a diverse array of inclusive benefits and perks to support employees and their families’ wellbeing including access to robust healthcare, mental wellness benefits, family leave, discounted fitness memberships, education reimbursement, generous product discounts, flexible paid time off, 17 paid holidays, 10 paid sick days, and additional paid time off including 3 volunteer days, and bereavement. Sabbaticals are available after 5 years of continuous employment with Amyris.
We hold deep regard in the power of representation and cultivation of a diverse work environment. Join us at Amyris, where you can find a sense of belonging and know that your voice is centered.
At Amyris, we believe that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) is essential to our core values. We embrace and encourage an equity-minded work culture, knowing that it is the driving force of innovation that positively impacts our employees, consumers, and communities. And for Amyris, a sense of belonging is what drives our mission forward and is the foundation of everything we do, ensuring a healthier, more sustainable future for us all. Make Good, No Compromise.
Amyris (Nasdaq: AMRS) is a leading synthetic biotechnology company, transitioning the Clean Health & Beauty and Flavors & Fragrances markets to sustainable ingredients through fermentation and the company's proprietary Lab-to-Market™ technology platform. This Amyris platform leverages state-of-the-art machine learning, robotics and artificial intelligence, enabling the company to rapidly bring new innovation to market at commercial scale. Amyris ingredients are included in over 20,000 products from the world's top brands, reaching more than 300 million consumers. Amyris also owns and operates a family of consumer brands that is constantly evolving to meet the growing demand for sustainable, effective and accessible products. For more information, please visit http://www.amyris.com.
Amyris, the Amyris logo, No Compromise, Biossance, JVN, Pipette, Purecane, Rose Inc. and Lab-to-Market, Terasana are trademarks or registered trademarks of Amyris, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at firstname.lastname@example.org
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.