Fermentation Process Development Scientist 1
Manufacturing and Operations – Process Development & Engineering
The Process Development team is seeking a Scientist 1 with experience developing and optimizing microbial fermentation processes for the production of small molecules. This individual should be well-versed in fermentation science and process control and have a basic understanding of microbial physiology, secondary metabolism and biosynthetic pathways. In some cases, the individual should take into consideration scalability of the process, which includes not only fermentation but also separation and purification. We are specifically seeking an energetic, creative, and highly self-motivated individual that enjoys challenges in fermentation development. The successful candidate will interact closely with molecular biologists, other fermentation scientists, and downstream chemists and engineers.
- Design and analyze fermentation experiments to maximize understanding and performance of strains and meet project goals for yield, productivity, purity specifications, and other process parameters.
- Optimize and adapt fermentation processes for operation at pilot and manufacturing scale
- Demonstrated ability to apply new process technologies and strategies when relevant
- Collaborate with:
- Operations team and fellow process development scientists to ensure that experiments are designed and executed effectively
- Molecular biologists to understand the impact of genetic changes on strain performance
- Analytical chemists to ensure that analytical methods are robust
- Lead cross-functional project teams that are focused on the commercialization of a given molecule and includes the development and technology transfer of processes from laboratory scale pilot scale manufacturing scale.
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders through meetings and clearly written emails, reports and presentations
- Responsible for individual and co-worker safety and maintain safety as the highest priority by supporting and reinforcing procedures and policies
- Requires a BS in Chemical/Bio-Chemical Engineering with a minimum of 10 years’ experience
- Prefer MS with at least 5 years’ experience or PhD with 0-2 years’ experience
- Experience designing & analyzing fermentation experiments for strain screening and/or scale-up
- Experience using tools and software to analyze large datasets
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills are an essential characteristic of a successful candidate due to the highly collaborative nature of the position
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and balance multiple projects
- Strong project management, organization, facilitation, problem solving, and quantitative analysis skills are critical
- Ability to deliver clear, compelling and effective technical presentations to colleagues and managers
- Microbial fermentation experience preferred
- Experience using the design of experiment (DoE) methodology for the optimization and characterization of fermentation processes preferred
- Experience with small molecules that are produced during fermentation as a gas, solid, or liquid is preferred
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), Amyris is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants (“Applicants”) about the personal information we collect about you when you apply to a job on this site.
As an Applicant, you have the right to know and understand the categories of personal information we collect about you, and the purposes for which the categories of personal information shall be used, pursuant to the CCPA.
By clicking the “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” button below and submitting your job application, you agree you have reviewed the complete Privacy Notice for Employees, Independent Contractors and Job Applicants.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Amyris at email@example.com
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.