Senior Data Scientist, NLP/Computer Vision
Software Development – Data Science
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 20 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 15+ million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
We are growing our Data Science team in Lehi, UT and looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our global Data Science & Machine Learning Team. You’ll have the opportunity to work alongside a high functioning group tackling Ancestry’s toughest and most exciting data science challenges, and work with unique text data spanning decades across a variety of media channels.
- Use data science to drive product innovation, customer success, content creation and more across our Family History family business.
- Champion a data-driven culture and push long-term business value creation through development of best-in-class Data Science capabilities.
- Leverage Natural Language Processing and Computer Vision to extract value and insights from our billions of genealogical records and from the Newspapers.com archives.
Who you are...
- BS in Computer Science, Statistics, or other data-related field coupled with 6 + years industry experience in machine learning and statistical modeling OR
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, or other data-related field coupled with 4+ years industry experience in machine learning and statistical modeling OR
- PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, or other data-related field coupled with 2 years industry experience in machine learning and statistical modeling
- Experience with machine learning techniques such as entity extraction, document classification, topic modeling, computer vision methods, object detection, image classification, and handwriting recognition
- Proven track record of completing multiple data science projects end-to-end; from idea generation, objectives formulation, to implementation and deliverable
- Strong proficiency in Python, experience with Java, SQL, and multi-threaded programming preferred
- Experience building deep learning models using tools like TensorFlow and Pytorch
- Bonus: Experience with top-tier publications in machine learning domains (e.g., ACL, EMNLP, CVPR, ICCV, PAMI, ICML, JMLR, etc.)
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means