Data Engineering, Intern
Software Development – Business Intelligence Technology
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 20 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 15+ million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
Ancestry seeks a highly motivated, internet-savvy Data Engineer intern to join our Data Delivery team. The Data Delivery team is tasked with creating streaming data pipelines that delivery real-time data and a centralized Data Warehouse that all organizations at Ancestry are using to make critical business decisions. Our work supports the Financial, Marketing, Customer Service, Data Science, and every other area of the business. As a Data Engineer on the Data Delivery team you will work to build data pipelines and infrastructure to support the pipelines that serve data from sources into the Data Streams and the Data Warehouse.
What You'll Do
- Help build and maintain an enterprise data warehouse platform with its associated data models and ETL processes
- Responsible for designing, building, and maintaining robust data models
- Implement best practices and innovative solutions to provide timely, accurate, & reliable data
- Help in implementation of a high performing data warehouse platform servicing thousands of users and a broad set of use cases
- Constantly evaluate and optimize deployment of data models to achieve greater efficiency and reliability
Who You Are
- Must be currently enrolled in a university and graduating after Summer 2020
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s, master’s or Ph.D. level degree
- Eager to learn
- Must have a passion for data and helping the business turn data into information and action
- Data modeling and ETL development experience
- Strong in SQL, databases, and data modeling methodologies
- Knowledgeable in scripting languages (python, java, or scala)
- Experience with cloud data warehousing technologies (Snowflake or Redshift) and MPP systems a plus
It takes customer obsession to pioneer and focus on what matters most, to tackle challenges, break through boundaries to create change, to stay on the cutting edge, and pioneer relentlessly. We are looking for the next generation of talent to drive the business, grow our people, and put the customer before all else.
Our culture empowers journeys of personal discovery, giving you the freedom to participate in impactful projects and explore the intersections of our businesses: technology, data science, DNA science, product, design, marketing, legal, and more. We’re looking for innovative minds, diverse ideas, and for students interested in connecting personal discoveries and technology. Our interns enjoy mentorship and experience challenging work while receiving fantastic pay, fully-paid temporary housing, and having a fun captivating experience—we have it all. Oh, and did we mention the possibility of full-time employment once you graduate?
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means