Accounting Team Lead (Assistant Controller)
United States /
Full-Time - Remote
At Anchorage Digital, we are building the world’s most advanced digital asset platform for institutions to participate in crypto.
Founded in 2017, Anchorage Digital is a regulated crypto platform that provides institutions with integrated financial services and infrastructure solutions. With the first federally chartered crypto bank in the US, Anchorage Digital offers institutions an unparalleled combination of secure custody, regulatory compliance, product breadth, and client service. We’re looking to diversify our team with people who are humble, creative, and eager to learn.
We are a remote friendly, global team, but provide the option of working in-office in New York City, Sioux Falls, Porto, Lisbon, and Singapore. For our colleagues not located near our beautiful offices, we encourage and sponsor quarterly in-person collaboration days to work together and further deepen our Village.
The Accounting Team Lead will lead Anchorage Digital’s day-to-day accounting operations, including AP, AR, GL, and month end close. The right candidate has experience improving and scaling end-to-end accounting processes, an eagerness to learn, and an automation mindset. We have created the Factors of Growth & Impact to help Villagers better measure impact and articulate coaching, feedback, and the rich and rewarding learning that happens while exploring, developing, and mastering the capabilities and contributions within and outside of the Accounting Team Lead role:
- Manage day-to-day accounting activities, including reviewing journal entries, account reconciliations and supporting documentation across all Anchorage entities.
- Develop and implement GL related policies and procedures to ensure compliance with US GAAP and internal operational policies/procedures.
- Drive the monthly financial close process, interacting across stakeholders to produce timely, efficient and accurate monthly consolidated financials and flux analysis.
- An active CPA license and/or accounting degree.
- Experience with audits at a Big-4 public accounting firm AND have experience managing a team at a high-growth pre-IPO startup (ideally in the fintech space).
- Progressive experience with consolidations in a multi-currency, multiple legal entity environment, including international entities and foreign currency translation.
- Experience with Enterprise ERP systems (i.e. NetSuite).
Complexity and Impact of Work:
- Experience with consolidations in a multi-currency, multiple legal entity environment, including international entities and foreign currency translation.
- Develop, modify, and execute Anchorage’s policies that affect immediate operations and may also have company-wide effect.
- Drive the strategy and success of Finance departmental, interdepartmental, or cross-functional projects which contribute to multiple areas of Anchorage.
- Capable of breaking down large projects and processes into smaller tasks, and accurately estimating their time and scope. Articulates effectively the different options considered, analyzes trade-offs, justifies and defines priorities.
- Advanced analytical and modeling skills with the ability to interpret and analyze data.
- Is aware of the strategy of Anchorage to guarantee its successful implementation and defines the planning and goals of the team.
- You’re experienced with audits at a Big-4 public accounting firm AND have experience managing a team at a high-growth pre-IPO startup (ideally in the fintech space).
- You have an ability to think creatively, problem solve and work cross-functionally on multiple projects.
- You thrive in a fast paced environment while demonstrating attention to detail and consistent follow-through.
- You have strong project management skills with the ability to proactively resolve problems while consistently meeting deadlines.
- An ability to think creatively, problem solve and work cross-functionally on multiple projects.
- The ability to thrive in a fast paced environment while demonstrating attention to detail and consistent follow-through.
Communication and Influence:
- Partner cross-functionally to make improvements in scalability across all accounting processes.
- Partner with Treasury and the business to monitor day-to-day operations and cash/digital asset flow, including supporting new and existing banking relationships and coordinating and approving outgoing wires.
- Support the coordination of the external audit with auditor and tax related matters with tax consultant.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to proactively resolve problems while consistently meeting deadlines.
- Supervise and review the work of General Ledger accounting team of 4, ensuring team deadlines for month-end close deliverables are met and in accordance with operating procedures/controls.
- Set the direction of the team on a regular cadence in partnership with department leadership. Drives execution by organizing and delegating team work, setting goals, and holding the team accountable and monitors and escalates issues with team pace.
- Act as the primary point of contact within the team, leading by example according to the values and expectations of an Anchorage manager.
- Define clear expectations for their team members and takes timely and appropriate action for underperformers.
- Accountable for team budgets which may be broad and have an impact on their departmental budget.
- Hire for their team by effectively collaborating with recruiters, defining roles, sourcing, and selling their team and Anchorage.
Although not a requirement, bonus points if:
- You have experience implementing best-in-class accounting controls for a public technology company and/or financial institution.
- You’re familiar with regulatory finance and operations.
- You've kept up to date with the proliferation of blockchain and crypto innovations.
- You have experience identifying technical and operational accounting gaps and implementing solutions.
- You have experience with multiple subsidiaries, consolidation processes, and international structure.
- You were emotionally moved by the soundtrack to Hamilton, which chronicles the founding of a new financial system. :)
Compensation at Anchorage Digital:
- Compensation at Anchorage Digital is market-driven and data-informed. All full-time employees receive a market-leading salary, meaningful equity, and a generous perks and benefits package.
- Compensation Range: $126,000 - $161,000/yr - this salary range may be inclusive of multiple regional locations and job grades. This compensation range will be narrowed during the interview process based on skills, abilities, and experience required. We partner with third party firms annually to verify equity, cash, benefits, and perks benchmarks. For sales and business development roles, the range provided is the On Target Earnings (“OTE”) which is inclusive of base salary + sales commissions/bonuses targets for the position.
- Benefits: Anchorage Digital is proud to provide market-leading benefits and perks to our employees. We are only 1% of companies who offer 100% health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your dependents. This means no monthly out-of-pocket premiums for you or your family. We offer a wide range of benefits to our employees globally.
- You can learn more about our culture and perks and benefits here.
About Anchorage Digital: Who we are
The Anchorage Village, what we call our team, brings together the brightest minds from platform security, financial services, and distributed ledger technology to provide the building blocks that empower institutions to safely participate in the evolving digital asset ecosystem. As a diverse team of more than 300 members, we are united in one common goal: building the future of finance by providing the foundation upon which value moves safely in the new global economy.
Anchorage Digital is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported, and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Anchorage Digital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. Anchorage Digital considers qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with other legal requirements. “Anchorage Digital” refers to services that are offered either through Anchorage Hold, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company and registered Money Services Business, Anchorage Digital Bank National Association, an OCC-chartered national trust bank, or Anchorage Lending CA, LLC a finance lender licensed by the California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation, License No. 60DBO-11976, or Anchorage Digital Singapore Pte Ltd, a Singapore private limited company, all wholly-owned subsidiaries of Anchor Labs, Inc., a Delaware corporation.