Member of Technical Staff, Backend Engineering (Cryptoassets)
San Francisco / Bay Area /
Anchorage Digital is an industry leader, a dynamic startup and growing business, and a diverse and welcoming team where individual professional growth is priority. Founded in 2017, Anchorage is a regulated platform that offers institutions simple and secure participation in digital assets, all integrated with industry-leading custody. We’re the infrastructure company behind your favorite bank or fintech company and the platform for institutional participation in digital assets. Additionally, Anchorage Digital received the first federal banking charter for a digital bank in January 2021, setting the standard for crypto regulation in the United States. Anchorage has raised a total of $137M in funding from leading investors including GIC, Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund, Andreessen Horowitz, VISA, Blockchain Capital.
- Deeply research new cryptoassets and integrate them into Anchorage Digital’s custody platform.
- Implement participatory features that clients need such as staking and governance.
- Develop infrastructure that scales across all crypto-networks.
- Support assets through upgrades and monitor for network-wide issues.
- Review code across the entire stack and engineering organization while actively participating in product development.
- Find the right balance between progress (i.e. shipping quickly) and perfection (i.e. measuring twice).
- Foster an efficient deterministic testing culture, with an emphasis on minimizing tech debt and bureaucracy.
- Influence architecture/product roadmap - have a seat at the table.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with everyone.
- Help scale the team.
- Work on the front lines of the blockchain/crypto movement and SecOps innovation.
- Ship code that will impact the global economy.
You may be a fit for this role if:
- You have real world experience building complex distributed systems. We mostly use Go, however languages can be learned. We really care about your engineering skills more than any specific language or framework.
- You enjoy building services from scratch and supporting them over a meaningful period of time.
- You genuinely care about code quality and test infrastructure.
- You prioritize end-user experience and business value over “cool tech.”
- You have developed “computer science fundamentals”, i.e. concurrency, algorithms, and data structures (Formal CS degree NOT required).
- You self describe as some combination of the following: creative, humble, ambitious, detail oriented, hard working, trustworthy, eager to learn, methodical, action oriented, and tenacious.
Although not a requirement, bonus points if:
- You have experience with applied cryptography.
- You feel comfortable diving down the stack and into open source projects to root cause a bug.
- In your mind the word “crypto” stands for cryptography, not cryptocurrency.
- You read blockchain protocol white papers for fun, and stay up to date with the proliferation of cryptoasset innovations.
- You have a background in the finance industry.
- Backend Tech: Go, C, Solidity, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Vault, GCP, AWS, and GraphQL.
- Mobile Tech: Swift, RxSwift, CocoaPods, and Secure Enclave.
- Engineering methodologies: Reverse uptime, cryptographically linked data models, tamper resistant ledgers, air gapped infrastructure, secure execution environments, repeatable builds, and infra-as-code.
Anchorage Digital is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Anchorage Digital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.