Director of Manufacturing- Drones
Costa Mesa, CA /
Anduril - Manufacturing and Operations – Manufacturing Engineering /
Anduril is a defense technology company, bringing Silicon Valley talent and funding to the defense sector. Our technology helps our customers solve their toughest challenges by enabling them to make better, more informed decisions in life-and-death situations. We’ve assembled a diverse team of experts in artificial intelligence, computer vision, sensor fusion, optics, and data analysis that are creating software and hardware solutions to radically evolve the capabilities of the United States and our allies. If you are passionate about solving problems that have real impact, come join Anduril and build the future of defense.
Anduril's Drone Manufacturing team is responsible for building state of the art autonomous drones used by the US military and our allies around the world. Our drones leverage the latest technologies to carry out missions on the front lines with minimal human inputs. Their next generation autonomous design allows them to provide critical intelligence and information gather capabilities to ground commanders quickly and accurately. As Director of Drone Manufacturing you will be responsible for owning, developing and streamlining the entire production process for these air vehicles.
The ideal candidate for this position brings a wealth of strategic and hands on aircraft engineering and manufacturing experience. They'll need to be able to successfully scale the manufacturing process for a vehicle composed of numerous complex integrated systems, work closely with adjacent engineering teams and mostly importantly lead a team of high performing manufacturing engineers and technicians.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Execute the manufacturing of new FAA Class Group 1-3 drones, from initial prototyping through large full-scale production. Vehicles will range in profile to include both rotary and fixed wing variants.
- Lead multiple teams responsible for delivering on-time completion of development and production UAVs.
- Work with design engineers during the development process to drive design for manufacturing best practices into the design effort, and help facilitate the transition from design to prototype to rate production
- Establish and maintain systems of process control for machines, material, processes, tools, and people
- Establish and maintain a quality management program alongside others on the Manufacturing Team.
- Facilitate make versus buy decisions, and coordinate with internal purchasing teams to manage vendors to ensure quality deliveries on time.
- Establish and champion a safety program for manufacturing and test of vehicles
- Collaborate with internal customers and manufacturing planning teams to define capacity planning actions to meet customer needs and expectations
- Instill a culture of continuous improvement through opportunity identification, root cause analysis, and corrective actions to reduce cost and cycle times
- Own all area KPIs and supporting process improvements, continually raising the bar on performance expectations using data.
- Define and manage budgets and schedules for raw material, operational expenses, labor, and capital projects
- Develop production and test methodologies and implement best practices to enable scaling production capabilities into the thousands.
- Must be able to obtain and hold a U.S. Top Secret security clearance.
- BS in mechanical, industrial, or electrical engineering or related field
- Proven experience in building or transforming successful production operation organizations and leading large-scale change management initiatives that influence culture, define tools & processes and improve competencies
- 10+ years experience in a manufacturing-intensive environment, leading teams bringing products from initial concept into scaled production in a short period of time.
- Experience with flight vehicle structure and/or avionics systems or similar electromechanical hardware
- Experience with drone systems and their manufacturing and integration methods including avionics, harnessing, fuel and propulsion
- Passion for hardware development demonstrated through hands-on experience on personal projects
- An attitude of world-class mission assurance, quality, attention to detail, and dedication
- Experience leading and managing teams on fast-paced, complex projects
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer, and we encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you are someone passionate to work on problems that matter, we’d love to hear from you!