Director, Mechanical Engineering
Atlanta, GA /
Altius – Altius Technical Project Management /
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
The Mechanical Engineering Director is responsible for all technical and personnel aspects of a mechanical engineering department designing aircraft, launchers and support equipment. The Mechanical Engineering Director owns short to mid-term (1-3 years) strategic development and execution, operational direction, career pathing, and vision for the department.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Leads high-level design and development of new mechanical engineering initiatives and projects.
- Communicates business, strategic, and financial direction from executives to functional teams; devises resourcing and operational plans to successfully execute.
- Develops technical content for executive leadership meetings with some guidance.
- Oversees the establishment of programs to support training, process improvements, and the creation and maintenance of best practices and protocols.
- Recognizes and resolves conflict internally and externally.
- Ensures the optimal application of skill and engineering resources of team to meet product development and internal/external customer requirements.
- Stays abreast of new technologies and processes and implements changes to improve the organization’s mechanical engineering capabilities.
- Reports to executive management.
- Manages a departmental sub-function team of mechanical engineers focused on efforts with company-wide impacts and manages multiple teams which may be led by managers or leaders.
- Creates functional strategies and specific objectives for the core team and develops budgets/policies/procedures to support the functional infrastructure.
- BS or MS degree in Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering
- 10+ years of mechanical engineering experience
- 5+ years of management experience
- Solid understanding of aircraft structural analysis and composites
- Knowledge of design for manufacturing
- Outstanding leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage competing time requirements
- Must have the ability to mentor engineers and guide technical growth and career development
- Must be able to obtain and hold a U.S. Top Secret security clearance
- Experience organizing and leading teams of 50+ employees
- Experience implementing Product Lifecycle Management and Enterprise Resource Planning systems
$148,000 - $222,000 a year
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!