Summer 2023 Mechanical/Aerospace Engineer Intern
Atlanta, GA /
Area-I – Area-I Mechanical Engineering /
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
Area-I, an Anduril Company, is a Metro-Atlanta based company dedicated to the development of state-of-the-art unmanned aircraft systems designed for use by the United States Armed Forces. We specialize in the development of unmanned aircraft systems that eject from host platforms or modular launch systems. These platforms are designed to meet the specific needs of our customers, where we design, build, test, and ultimately deliver unique solutions to the customer. Area-I’s customers include the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. Army, and NASA.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- This position will involve working in a team environment on the design and manufacturing methods of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and launch systems. Area-I is particularly interested in candidates with extra-curricular and practical experience. Area-I is currently reviewing Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Engineering, and/or otherwise qualified student candidates who are available for full-time internship positions for Summer 2023.
- Work with process engineers and production personnel to streamline production flow
- Provide engineering support to the production team to resolve issues and non-conformances
- Develop automated systems to support production
- Generate production drawings applying and interpreting Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Hands-on prototyping with 3D printing, machining, composite layups, and more
- Develop experimental setups and collect data to inform design decisions
- Design refinement for manufacturing and assembly
- Design documentation & test reports
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Related extracurricular activities
- U.S. Person status is required as this position needs to access export controlled data.
- Experience programming microcontrollers
- 3D CAD design and engineering drawings
- Machining, 3D printing, hand-tools experience
- Composites fabrication experience
- Experience with proper storage, handling, and deployment of lithium-Ion batteries
- Experience with development and production of lithium-Ion battery packs
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working within an engineering team
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!