Vice President of People Operations
San Francisco, California /
People Operations /
Angaza creates software that enables businesses to sell life-changing products to anyone, anywhere. Our technology uses an IoT network of connected devices, mobile payments, and machine learning to accelerate the adoption of transformative products, such as solar lights, smartphones, and cookstoves.
Over 2 billion people across the globe live off-grid or are unbanked. Angaza’s technology empowers distributors to make transformative products like clean cookstoves and water pumps accessible and affordable to these individuals in emerging markets. When a family in Tanzania (or Nicaragua, or Nigeria, or Bangladesh) purchases a life-changing product, Angaza’s complete solution enables them to afford the product with convenient incremental payments. With Angaza’s B2B technology solution, distribution businesses in emerging markets can grow their revenue by over 8x by extending their sales and credit offerings to this consumer base.
Today, businesses in 50+ countries around the world have improved the daily lives of over 13 million people through the Angaza platform while supporting 60,000 jobs and averting 1.5 billion kg in CO2 emission.
Angaza is hiring a Vice President of People Operations to join the leadership team. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic, hands-on leader excited to establish and implement a people strategy that translates between San Francisco, Nairobi, and a growing distributed workforce. At Angaza, People Operations works with every department in the company to create a vibrant culture that promotes individual growth and positive collaboration. The Vice President of People Operations will build on an existing foundation to create or enhance all aspects of our people strategy including human resources, performance management, talent acquisition, employee engagement and retention, compensation, benefits, manager training, and culture initiatives including diversity and inclusion. The position will be based in the San Francisco office reporting to the Co-Founder/COO, and will require occasional global travel. This position is currently based remotely but will need to be within commuting distance of Angaza's San Francisco office once we reopen (anticipated to be late 2021/early 2022).
- Cultivate and deepen our company culture
- Continue to cultivate a company environment that celebrates diversity and inclusion among people of varied backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives
- Serve as a senior advisor to the executive team on all people related matters to ensure the company has the talent, processes/systems, and policies necessary to support our strategic and financial goals
- Strengthen our people analytics and utilize a data-driven approach to identify trends and recommend proactive solutions for employee performance, retention, and engagement
- Ensure HR compliance across all offices and own benefits plan administration
- Build trust with employees across all layers of the organization and be an active listener and effective problem solver of people issues
- Evaluate, streamline and improve current recruiting processes
- Strengthen our compensation philosophy to ensure fair, equitable payment practices across all job functions
- Implement scalable initiatives that empower our leaders to be better managers
- Develop programs that prepare high-potential employees for management roles
- Enhance team-wide learning and professional development programs
- Ensure that the executive team has the "pulse of the company" in order to make proactive and effective organizational decisions
- Manage, develop, and grow the People Operations team
- 8+ years experience in a People Operations/HR role; experience designing and implementing People Operations at a high-growth start-up and experience managing across international offices a major plus
- Bachelor’s degree; higher degree or related certifications a plus
- A self-starter and comfortable with building systems and processes from scratch. Thrives in a “lean startup” style environment of experimentation, learning, and execution
- Expert understanding of employment law, compensation, benefits, organizational development, employee relations, and training; comfort with HR systems and tools (ATS, HRIS, etc.)
- Comfortable operating in an international business setting; ability to attend to local norms for establishing strong relationships. Experience setting up remote employment through a third party employer of record desired.
- A natural coach and mentor who relates well with others, listens effectively and can build rapport with a diverse and global team
- Enthusiastic and creative leader with the ability to inspire others
- Experience being goal-oriented and comfortable measuring your team’s success by quantitative performance
- Analytical and process-oriented mindset
- Extraordinary attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exemplify Angaza’s key values: impact-driven, empathetic, courageous, trustworthy, curious, and collaborative
Please submit both a résumé and cover letter using the form below. Applicants who do not submit cover letters will not be considered. Due to the volume of applicants, we will only be able to follow up with the most promising applicants. We plan to fill this position quickly, with a start date as soon as possible.
Work authorization: Due to the nature of the role, Angaza is unable to sponsor or transfer employment visas. All applicants are required to share their work authorization status when applying, and applicants who require visa sponsorship or transfers for employment will be removed from consideration.
Angaza is a for-profit company with offices in San Francisco and Nairobi.
Employees receive salary, an equity stake in Angaza, and benefits that include:
- Competitive health benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, HSA, & FSA
- 401(k) with company match
- Fully paid parental leave
- Flexible scheduling and time off policies
- Knowledge that you’re making a positive impact on the world every day you come to work!
Our Commitment to DEI
At Angaza, we evaluate all candidates on the basis of their ability to meet stated job requirements. We do not discriminate against candidates on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, religion, nationality, or other personal characteristics. In keeping with our commitment to supporting a safe and inclusive workplace, we strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply.