Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco, California /
Product Development - Business Foundations /
Remote (SF Bay Area preferred, continental US required)
Angaza creates software to enable financing of life-changing products, such as solar home + battery systems, for low-income consumers in emerging markets. Our software is used every day in 50+ countries to improve the lives of 10+ million people.
More than 2 billion people still live off-grid or are unbanked. Connecting them to electricity, appliances, and financial services represents both an enormous global need and a $400B potential market. Angaza provides a suite of technologies—payment processing, hardware communication, point-of-sale tools, and more—so that distribution businesses can reach that underserved population across the globe.
We're looking for a senior software engineer to join our Business Foundations team, one of the four product development teams here at Angaza. Applicants should have at least 4 years of prior software engineering work experience. This role is full-stack but heavily emphasizes backend development. You can find key responsibilities and tech details below.
- Our API and the customer developer experience
- Embedded analytics and business intelligence
- Data features: reporting, webhooks, out-of-the-box ETL, and more
- Usage accounting and customer billing
- Authentication, authorization, and security
- Backend: Python with Flask, SQLAlchemy, and Celery
- Infrastructure: AWS with PostgreSQL, EC2, Lambda, and friends
- Frontend: modern JS with React/Redux
- Mobile: Android with Kotlin
We don’t expect you to have mastered every technology before you get here. “Full stack” means that you should expect to work across frontend and backend software as necessary. This role does emphasize backend development, performance, and scaling. Business Foundations does not typically work on the Android application.
Key Individual Responsibilities
- Implement complex business logic in well-tested increments
- Communicate your changes effectively to your peers
- Work with versatility across a wide variety of projects
- Design significant systems and deploy new code daily
- Support scaling of Angaza's three-tier SaaS application
- Review code, pair with colleagues, and provide mentorship
- Influence technical direction, architectural choices, and team processes
- Collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Learn about new technologies and a new domain, often by apprenticing to developers with less total experience but more Angaza knowledge
- Contribute energy and enthusiasm to the team and company
- Exemplify Angaza's core values of empathy, teamwork, courage, innovation, and impact
Please use the linked form to submit a resume and any other materials you'd like to share. Our interview process includes one or more phone calls, a skills assessment, and interviews with people you'll be working with. We don’t believe in gotcha logic puzzles or adversarial whiteboard exercises, and we try to give you specific constructive feedback. The entire process will take 2–3 weeks for most candidates.
Work Authorization: Angaza is unable to sponsor employment visas. Applicants are asked to share their work authorization status when applying.
Location: Remote candidates are encouraged to reply, as long as they are based in the US, eligible to work in the US, and are comfortable adjusting their working hours to mostly overlap with Pacific time. This position reports to our San Francisco team. For applicants based in that area, Angaza plans to reopen an in-person workspace on a voluntary basis within the next year.
Angaza is a for-profit company based in San Francisco and Nairobi. Our global technical team is about two dozen people.
Employees receive salary, an equity stake in Angaza, and benefits that include:
- Medical, life, and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Parental leave at 100% salary
- Your transit or bike commute expenses paid by Angaza (if you commute)
- Flexible time off
- Free snacks and drinks (if you’re in an office)
- Team and mission that you can believe in
Our Commitment to DEI
At Angaza, we evaluate all candidates on the basis of their ability to meet stated job requirements. We do not discriminate against candidates on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, religion, nationality, or other personal characteristics. In keeping with our commitment to supporting a safe and inclusive workplace, we strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply.