Head of Credit and Risk
Global - remote /
Credit and Risk /
Remote (US/Canada, Europe, or Africa)
Angaza enables businesses to sell life-changing products, on credit, to low-income, unbanked consumers in emerging markets. Our technology uses an IoT network of connected devices, mobile payments, and machine learning to accelerate the adoption of solar energy systems, smartphones, and appliances.
We are reinventing consumer credit by making it available to the 2 billion people across the globe who are unbanked or left out of formal credit/savings ecosystems. With Angaza, consumers have the flexibility to buy now and pay later, with full pricing transparency. And, merchants can increase their sales and revenue by over 8x by offering life-changing products on credit.
Angaza’s inclusive finance platform is already used by businesses in 50+ countries across Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, and Asia to improve the daily lives of over 20 million people.
Angaza is hiring a Head of Credit and Risk to join as a key member of our leadership team. You will develop, implement, and iterate on Angaza’s strategy and credit product for consumer underwriting, fraud management, and loss mitigation. You will consistently seek balance between speed of execution, effectiveness of risk mitigation, and optimization of consumer credit volume. Your focus will be on delivering exceptional and measurable results that add significant value to Angaza, our customers, and other stakeholders.
As a data driven organization, we focus on automating and improving decisions around underwriting, fraud, pricing, and personalization. You will be responsible for the full lifecycle of credit availability, risk assessment, mitigation strategy, implementation, and ongoing iteration. As a social enterprise focused on developing markets, Angaza is looking for candidates that deeply understand the nuances behind consumer credit for unbanked or subprime borrowers. You should recognize the difference between ability vs. willingness to pay and incorporate that into our credit approach. You should think creatively and holistically about risk mitigation, going beyond underwriting standards to consider and collaborate on borrower experience and other external factors affecting credit risk.
The ideal candidate is based in the U.S./Canada, Europe, or Africa due to proximity to partners, customers, and other Angaza team members.
- Drive Angaza’s overall approach to consumer credit, underwriting, and risk mitigation, to maximize customer value while ensuring business profitability
- Collaborate on product roadmap and partnership strategy to accomplish your goals
- Work closely and cross functionally with product/engineering, data and analytics, business, ops, and customer success teams to ensure successful end-to-end delivery of credit products, powered by data
- Develop seamless, automated, and accurate risk analyses, consumer repayment models, and decisioning powered by machine learning and predictive analytics
- Use data-driven experimentation and measurement frameworks to track credit product success and continually improve it through a rigorous build-measure-learn approach
- Collaborate with relevant product and commercial teams to optimize credit product terms and credit strategy to improve the customer fit and profitability of our offerings
- Adapt credit strategy to local market contexts, with a deep understanding of alternative underwriting methods for unbanked, low-income, or offline consumers
- Build systematic processes to identify and prevent fraud by using innovative techniques and approaches, and collaborate across teams to recommend actions when fraud exists
- Analyze portfolio performance trends to provide effective risk oversight for the Angaza leadership team, including identifying issues, mitigants, opportunities, and credit action recommendations
- Monitor industry and economic trends, as well as changes in consumer behavior, to ensure Angaza’s credit and risk strategies remain a step ahead
- Design and implement loss prevention and mitigation strategies to improve collection rates, such as better targeting of defaulted consumers and consumer experience improvements
- Collaborate as a partner on the leadership team by providing critical insight, strategic recommendations, and leadership across company functions
- Pursue, close, and manage external credit and risk partnerships to add additional value and services to Angaza’s offering
- Advise on industry trends, competitive landscape, and broader market opportunities to ensure Angaza is always one step ahead
- Provide thought leadership in driving growth strategies for optimized customer experience and shareholder value while balancing with risk management considerations
- Facilitate clear and effective communications around strategy, tactics, and initiatives to employees, external stakeholders, and Angaza’s Board of Directors
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- 10+ years experience in consumer credit and underwriting as well as fraud detection and mitigation within the FinTech industry (e.g. consumer payments, lending, banking, etc), especially within unbanked and/or subprime consumer segments using alternative credit scoring methodologies
- a technical background in data science, engineering, math, or related disciplines, with a deep ability to interface with, add value to, and guide technical team members
- prior experience working in emerging markets (including Sub-Saharan Africa) and other international business settings where robust and formal credit institutions are not common
- a proven track record of success in enabling revenue growth and establishing long-term business value through leadership positions at fast-growing startup companies
- comfort working independently and cross-functionally, as an individual contributor, people manager, and company leader
- ability to seamlessly shift between strategic thinking and tactical execution
- a deep commitment to a diverse, inclusive, and progressive workplace
- exceptional collaborative, interpersonal, and leadership skills with an unwavering drive towards making data-driven decisions and holding clear accountability
- impeccable written and oral communication skills, and the ability to make effective data-driven recommendations to management teams
- passion for working in a global environment across multiple time zones to drive alignment in cross-functional and cross-border teams
Our Commitment to DEI
At Angaza, we evaluate all candidates on the basis of their ability to meet stated job requirements. We do not discriminate against candidates on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, religion, nationality, or other personal characteristics. In keeping with our commitment to supporting a safe and inclusive workplace, we strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply.