New York City, NY / San Francisco, CA / Seattle, WA
AngelList – Legal /
Full Time /
We exist to accelerate innovation by increasing the number of successful startups in the world. We want to give more people the opportunity to participate in the venture economy by building the financial infrastructure that makes it possible for more people to invest in world changing startups, and build tools for startups that help them run their operations so they can focus on building.
AngelList is the nexus of venture capital and the startup community. We support over $14B+ in assets under management. We’ve driven capital to over 12,000 startups, almost 282 of which are unicorns. 57% of top-tier U.S. VC deals involve investors on AngelList.
While our scale is large, our ambitions are even larger – we’re innovating on the financial infrastructure for venture investors and the startups they invest in. Come build with us.
About the role:
We are seeking a dynamic, self-motivated compliance professional to join our Compliance team. In this role, you will own and manage the execution of a broad portfolio of critical compliance initiatives.
We view regulatory compliance as a key driver of innovation, and this position presents a unique opportunity to play a foundational role in continuing to build and implement our forward-thinking compliance strategy for the company. As AngelList continues to grow and evolve, you will work both independently and collaboratively with other members of the Legal and Compliance team and the broader company to help navigate complex sets of rules, regulations, business partner requirements, and industry best practices. This role touches all parts of AngelList’s compliance framework, including, for example, program design and administration, regulatory reporting, surveillance, internal controls testing, policy development, and special projects.
The right person for the role will enjoy finding creative compliance solutions and moving quickly, often in the face of ambiguity and without significant day-to-day guidance.
You will :
- Develop and manage scalable and innovative solutions to help mitigate compliance risks and as needed due to regulatory or business changes
- Coordinate cross-functionally with other AngelList teams, including product and engineering, to “productize” compliance
- Provide subject matter expertise on compliance matters to internal and external stakeholders
- Manage the execution and administration of various U.S. and non-U.S. compliance initiatives and tasks, including, for example, administering the AML/KYC/KYB program, (including transaction monitoring and investigations), and maintaining the comprehensive compliance calendar and compliance exception documentation
- Develop and maintain compliance program infrastructure, including internal Compliance Notion pages, playbooks, etc.
- Develop and deploy targeted compliance training
- Monitor ongoing regulatory actions, guidance and changes that may impact the company’s compliance program
- Perform audits, reviews, and quality assurance checks/testing as needed
Other characteristics of the ideal candidate:
- 4+ years working in compliance or a relevant function in the financial technology sector or financial services (familiarity with AML/KYC compliance is a strong plus)
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills
- Comfort with owning a process from end-to-end with minimal supervision
- Ability to work cross-functionally and collaboratively with internal stakeholders.
- Curiosity about new regulations and technologies
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, innovative, rapidly changing environment. getting up to speed on new compliance concepts quickly and effectively
If you don’t tick every box above, we’d still encourage you to apply. We’re building a diverse team whose skills balance and complement one another.
AngelList has offices in three hub cities: San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City that you can choose to work from. We’re focused on hiring within these hubs and people within 1 hour travel distance of the hub offices are expected to come into the office twice per week. From time to time, we will make rare exceptions for new hires if they need to be fully remote.
Benefits: We support our employees in their lives both inside and outside of work.
* See additional detail on our benefits here: https://angell.ist/venture-benefits
* Learn about our Funders & Founders Program here: https://join.angellist.com/
Learn more about what AngelList has accomplished by checking out some recent things we’ve published over the last six months: AngelList Confidential 2023
AngelList is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.