Head of Design & UX
New York, New York
As the Head of Design & UX, you will play a pivotal role in helping Animoto solve a rapidly growing need: enabling anyone to easily create powerful, professional video in a world that’s increasingly video-first.
You will bring a strong vision for how design can transform a product and a company. You’ll manage and mentor our dedicated team of designers, helping them lead their teams to find not just the right solutions, but the right problems to solve. You’ll empower our product teams to apply design thinking and lean UX best practices to rapidly deliver validated solutions to our customers. Finally, you will elevate the design capacity of the organization by evangelizing design thinking across all teams and levels and applying service design principles to improve our operations where possible. Sound like fun?? Read on!
Why This Role Matters:
- Animoto is at the forefront of a huge emerging market need, and we’ll win by pairing a simple user experience with world-class video design and storytelling techniques. We’ve reinvented the model for how people create video, and exceptional design leadership will be central to our success.
- We’re a small company without much hierarchy, so the ability to make an impact is huge.
What You'll Do:
- Manage and mentor a motivated team of product designers, motion designers, graphic designers, and UX researchers.
- Evolve our iterative design process in tight collaboration with VP of Product and VP of Engineering.
- Work with marketing, product management, and customer support to understand and define the end-to-end customer experience and improve how we solve customer challenges.
- Infuse the culture with both a lean UX and design thinking mindset.
What We're Looking For:
- Expert at iterative product design process and experience within an iterative product development organization. Can lead a product team through solution discovery, and mentor a team to do the same.
- 5+ years building a design team; recruiting, hiring, mentoring and managing a team of at least 6.
- Expert in product design/UX (design thinking, user empathy). Track record of high quality solutions.
- 2+ years experience as design leader at a consumer digital product company that has both web and mobile applications.
- Have taken a new product to market.
Why Join Animoto?
- The opportunity to work with really smart, talented and interesting people (our Design Team is one of the best around!)
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Weekly catered lunch, bi-weekly Product Demos, Social Fridays, fully stocked kitchen, fun environment, and 5 ways to make coffee at our amazing NoHo office
- Bi-annual company events and hackathons
- Competitive compensation and amazing benefits such as 100% medical/dental/vision, equity, 401k, upgraded Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, and corporate discounts with AT&T and Crunch
- Crain's Best Places to Work award winner for 2017
We actively seek diversity of beliefs, backgrounds, education and ways of thinking. We aim to build an inclusive culture where differences are used to inform better marketing and business decisions. Animoto is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer.