New York, New York
At Animoto we believe that everyone should have the power to create professional-quality videos. To get there, our approach has always been about bringing in the smartest, and most passionate, people who care as much about our product as they do about each other. If that sounds like something you’d want to be a part of, and you fit the description below, we’d love to hear from you.
As Animoto's newest Video Engineer you will, let's face it, drive the company forward! You'll join our quest to provide great looking, high performing videos by leveraging your C++ skills, and your deep understanding of GPUs, rendering, and optimization. You'll learn, you'll teach, you'll have a good time.
Why This Role Matters:
- Animoto is at the forefront of an emerging market need. The popularity of videos is surging, across all kinds of producers and viewers across multiple devices. We're at an inflection point in the market, and your code will drive views and shape the way this revolution takes shape.
- We are a small team, and you'll be embedded with product teams to help them realize what is creatively possible.
- Your work empowers motion and product designers to create unique themes and styles we couldn't have imagined.
What You'll Learn:
- The quality and flexibility of our video rendering technology is second to none.
- Cloud based rendering. Small improvements make big differences.
- You are not isolated from the customer and how your work impacts them. You won't be pigeonholed into one part of the process.
- You'll be part of the business problem and have exposure to company leaders and help shape product direction.
- Get experience working on a fast-paced early stage product.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and maintain the video rendering engine for backend (AWS), front end (Browser), and Mobile (iOS).
- Develop and maintain the surrounding internal tools and pipeline.
- Work with motion designers, product designers, testers, and web teams to develop new product features.
- Decompose complex problems then implement solutions that fit the unique constraints for each platform.
- Work with creative teams to prototype motion and interaction design into something that can be described and implemented.
- Improve, simplify, and strengthen existing code.
- Work with talented team members in SF, NYC, UK, Singapore and Japan.
- Find ways to improve the product and company.
What We're Looking For:
- Strong C++ skills.
- Solid understanding of GPUs, rendering, algorithms, debugging, profiling, and optimizing.
- Knowledge of a system level graphics API.
- Friendly, respectful, understanding, compassionate.
- Resourceful, creative, self driven problem solver.
- The ability to own, and enjoy, features from design to release.
- Strong sense of quality.
- Your solutions are customer oriented.
- You can clearly and concisely communicate your viewpoint and knowledge to others on the team. You like to do so. You're not afraid to challenge ideas and approaches.
- You have a can-do, positive attitude, and are a curious self learner. You're not afraid to get your hands dirty and dive into something new.
- 4 year degree in Computer Science or related degree and equivalent experience.
- Experience with the following:
- ffmpeg libraries
- Audio processing
- Video codecs
- iOS rendering
- MacOS, Linux, AWS CLI tools
- OpenGL, WebGL, DirectX, Metal, Vulkan
- After Effects
- Developing art and content pipelines
- Collaborating with creative teams
- AWS cloud
- Participating in Open Source projects
Why Join Animoto:
- The opportunity to work with really smart, talented and interesting people (our Engineering Team is one of the best around!)
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Weekly catered lunch, bi-weekly Product Demos, Social Fridays, fully stocked kitchen, fun environment, and 5 ways to make coffee at our amazing NoHo office
- Bi-annual company events and hackathons
- Competitive compensation and amazing benefits such as 100% medical/dental/vision, equity, 401k, upgraded Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, and corporate discounts with AT&T and Crunch
- Crain's Best Places to Work award winner for 2017
At Animoto, we help our customers communicate who they are, what they do, and what they love through video. Our users are connected by the desire to use video to share what matters most to them, but come from all walks of life and are passionate about all sorts of different things. We’re proud to help them share these passions.
Similarly, we embrace the differences of our team members and actively seek diversity of beliefs, backgrounds, education, and all the other things that make us unique. We strive to create a space where employees can bring their true selves to work every day. By doing so, we’re building an inclusive culture where we can continue innovating for our customers. We too are united in the belief that our voices are even more powerful when using video to communicate, and we aim to have a workplace that reflects the variety of our users. Animoto is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer.