Engineering Manager, Backend
San Francisco, CA /
R&D – Engineering /
AnyRoad is the leader in experiential marketing software. We were founded on the belief that real-life, in-person experiences offer brands invaluable opportunities to build long-lasting relationships with their consumers, ultimately creating a community of brand advocates and accelerating revenue growth.
AnyRoad offers the only unified platform for experiential marketing that effectively connects back-end processes like booking, ticketing, payments, and more, with first-party data capture, consumer feedback, and analytics. Armed with our platform, leading brands across various industries are able to streamline and scale their event operations, drive continuous improvements in their strategy with actionable insights, and increase the return on investment from every experience.
Our Experiential Marketing Platform is used to power in-person and online experiences for some of the largest brands (e.g. Diageo, Michaels Canada, Just Eggs, North Face, Ben & Jerrys). With already over 1.2 million experiences per year being delivered using the AnyRoad platform, the opportunity to drive deeper insights, connect to external data sources (CDPs, CRMs, POS systems) is tremendous.
We’re looking for an engineering leader to help scale our Data Analytics Platform. We already have the data foundation in place that is being leveraged by large enterprises in the CPG, Retail and Attractions spaces to engage with their consumers and gain powerful insights to help them build brand loyalty. We’re looking for a leader who is excited by the opportunity to partner with a strong group of software engineers and product leaders to shape where the AnyRoad Data Analytics Platform goes in the future. In this role, you will report to the VP of Engineering and work closely with the other teams to identify and prioritize data needs and architect solutions that will ensure our data analytics platform is innovative, scalable, resilient, reliable, and secure. You will drive innovation by staying up to date with emerging technologies and industry trends.
Within engineering, your primary responsibility is to the people on your team - not only hiring and building it, but also ensuring that the members are growing as engineers, doing valuable work and thriving at AnyRoad. You enjoy being of service to your team and to the larger engineering organization, and your leadership is grounded in empathy and compassion. Successful leaders value the success and growth of their team over anything else.
You will have a broad influence and impact on building and executing our data strategy, fostering a strong development culture and managing a small but mighty team of ~6.
This role will be based out of San Francisco office in a hybrid capacity.
What You'll Do
- Build and lead the team on the design, implementation, and delivery of data solutions in a highly ambiguous and significantly complex problem space that have a long-term impact on a business, organization, or technology
- Leverage your vast experience with data ingestion, enrichment and analysis to partner closely with product and engineers to refine and further develop our overall strategy, build a roadmap and help the teams execute. You bring clarity to complexity, probe assumptions, illuminate pitfalls, and foster shared understanding
- Be a pragmatic problem solver, applying judgment and experience to balance trade-offs between competing interests. Be flexible, adapting your approach to meet the needs of the team, the customers, and the project or product
- You will manage teams working with: OpenAI, Chat-GPT, Ruby on Rails, React, Fivetran, Matillion, Stitch, RedShift, and Snowflake but also have tremendous influence in the technologies we leverage for future AnyRoad products and services
- Support the company's commitment to risk management and protecting the integrity and confidentiality of systems and data. Ensure inclusion of strong data governance, risk, security, and data quality controls
- Establish a strong leadership presence resulting in the ability to forge cross-functional partnerships and drive strong organizational results
- Partner with the recruiting team to attract and retain high-quality and diverse talent
- Collaborate with the other managers to ensure we are building products that provide a consistent and powerful experience across both our web and developer-focused products
What We're Looking For:
- Finding one person with all of the following is almost impossible, so we are not looking for 100% coverage. If you have experience with some of these, we’d love to talk with you:
- You have led and hired multiple teams (current team is ~6)
- You have a strong technical background in data and analytics that allows you to advocate for, mentor and grow your engineers
- Experience with Ruby or Python is ideal
- You are skilled at communicating with executives and non-technical leaders
- You have experience with machine learning technologies, natural language processing, information retrieval or related applications
- You have a track record of building and scaling resilient data platforms, infrastructure, and systems
- You have experience with big data technologies (data warehousing, data lakes) and ETL processes
- You have experience leading successful remote development teams
- You are able to thrive and lead multiple cross-functional projects at once
- You are naturally inclined to take initiative and help make an impact on the larger Product Development organization
- You have solid organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks, and keep projects on schedule
$150,000 - $250,000 a year
AnyRoad believes the workplace should be equitable, inclusive, and inspiring for every employee. We are sharing the base salary range for this position to provide greater transparency. In addition to the listed base salary (cash compensation), our employees are eligible to receive equity in the company and generous benefits. Individual compensation packages are based on factors unique to each candidate, including qualifications, experience, job-related skills, work location, and market conditions.
About Our Engineering Team
Our customers trust us because we fundamentally believe quality, resilience and performance cannot be an afterthought. We are looking to bring on someone who can help build a quality discipline that is foundational to everything that we do. We want to build tooling that allows us to ensure everything we ship behaves as our customers expect. We want to understand how our customers use our products so that we consistently ship features that exceed their expectations.
We celebrate our various idiosyncrasies, experiences, and viewpoints, and are bound together by the shared values of collaboration, inclusion, and love of what we do. We value those who bring their unique expertise and perspectives but whose natural inclination is to be selfless and roll up their sleeves and dive in wherever needed.
Why Join Us?
- Ground-floor opportunity at a fast-growing company in which you’ll immediately and directly impact the company’s future.
- We are a small, talented, and agile team working hard to define a new product category and having fun doing it.
- Diversity and inclusion are integral to our company's values and growth. We are proud to be a gender-balanced organization and actively encourage applications from underrepresented communities.
- Backed by prominent investors such as a16z, Runa Capital, BlackRock, and Kaiser Permanente.
- We are a leader in our space and work with some of the world’s leading brands.
- Competitive salary, equity, benefits, and perks.
- Hybrid & remote work environments. We have offices in the US and a presence across EMEA, including an office in Greece.
- Emphasis on growth and opportunities for learning and development.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
AnyRoad is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are committed to considering all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodation during the job application process, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org for support.