Machine Learning / NLP Engineer
SF, Portland, Remote /
We are in the midst of a profound shift from a transactional economy to an experiential economy. Big brands are not just trying to sell a product, but provide an experience that fundamentally changes the way customers think about their brand. At AnyRoad we are creating a new category, Experience Relationship Management (ERM), to help these brands create online and in-person experiences and derive insights and learnings through data.
We are looking for a product-focused Machine Learning Engineer with experience in Natural Language Processing to join our Atlas Data Platform team. Our Atlas Data Platform leverages deep understanding through NLP of consumer feedback combined with experiential data to provide actionable insights, leading to more engaging in-person and online experiences (tours, classes, events, etc). These experiences ultimately drive improved brand loyalty and sales for some of the biggest brands in the world (Michaels, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Nestle, Tabasco).
As the founding member of the ML team, you will be responsible for partnering closely with product and design to find innovative ways that data can be leveraged to empower our customers. We’re a nimble startup, so delivering value to customers incrementally and continuously is core to how we work.
Who You Are:
- Do you have a passion not just for the theory and science behind machine learning but how to leverage the latest research and technologies along with the rich data we have to unlock real value for customers?
- Are you a builder who wants to design a technical strategy, roll up their sleeves and code while also inspiring and up-leveling others to help deliver on the strategy?
- Do you like to solve difficult problems like semantic understanding, sentiment analysis, entity recognition, personalization and active learning?
- Do you enjoy collaborating with and assisting other engineers and designers to develop new computational-linguistics or deep-learning-based solutions for natural language understanding and reasoning?
- You have in-depth knowledge and research experience in NLP that you have applied to solve real-world problems in the industry.
- You are passionate about state-of-the-art technologies and are excited by the application of theory to real-world problems.
- You keep up to date with the latest developments in the field and look for ways to apply them to your current work/role.
- You find pragmatic solutions that solve problems in a timely manner.
What You'll Need:
- 3+ years NLP applied research experience, preferably experience applying NLP research to real-world problems in the industry
- Experience in building production ML models and understanding of inference challenges at scale
- Good theoretical grounding in core machine learning concepts and techniques
- Solid fundamentals in mathematics, statistics, and machine learning theory
- Experience with modern deep learning techniques in NLP including sequence to sequence models, distributed representations, pointer networks, attentional models, etc.
- Experience of going through full product life cycles, integrating customer feedback into product requirements, driving prioritization of new machine learning or infrastructure-related features
- Previous experience in a startup environment and an appetite for rapid prototyping and building consumer product
- Experience with big data and distributed computing technologies such as Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Storm, etc.
- Proficient knowledge of and experience with text analytics, machine translation, or dialog systems
- Proficiency with Ruby on Rails – or a comparable backend (e.g. Python, Django, etc.)
Why Join Us?
- Ground-floor opportunity to have immediate impact on the company's future, both in engineering and overall direction. Build groundbreaking software with a small group of highly-talented engineers.
- Small, rapidly growing, talented team that is working hard to define a new product category and having fun doing it.
- Diversity is a key part of our personality and our growth. We are a gender-balanced company, and encourage women and minority applicants.
- Health, dental, vision and 401(k)
- Unlimited time off and flexible work hours
Working at AnyRoad
Check out one of our most recent blog posts to learn more about the Engineering team: https://www.anyroad.com/blog/engineering-careers-at-anyroad/
Our day-to-day is infused with a sense of collaboration, motivation, and the shared goal of helping AnyRoad succeed. We emphasize sharing knowledge, taking ownership, and continual learning. When we hire, we’re looking as much for character, curiosity and communication skills as for technical aptitude. It might be an expected comment, but it’s worth saying that we really thoroughly enjoy working together.